Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2009, 12:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint recomindation needed

I have been reading alot on this forum and learning so much. I am purchasing a home that has been sitting empty for a couple of years. I plan on painting all of the rooms, including the ceilings and woodwork. The walls are currently deeper colors like dark tan, burnt orange and some navy blue. I will be painting all of the walls a cream color and the woodwork white (not my favorite, but it is already white). I have learned that the best brands are BM or SW. Since I am not sure what type of paint is currently on the walls and woodwork, should I use some type of primer since I don't know what I am dealing with? Also, I will be painting the family room which has older dark paneling. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki

vm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

First make sure what type of paint is on the walls and trim.Take some goof off or denatured alcohol or nail polish remover on a rag and see if the paint comes off. If it does it is latex and all you need to do is make sure all is clean and paint away. It certainly would not hurt to prime everything first but it is not necessary.Ask at your paint store about what to use.

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I know some of us sound like BM and SW salespeople at times but both brands really are great paint. They perform well and consistently give excellent results. Depending on where you live, there are probably other excellent brands but you will only find them in a real paint store. They will not be hiding in a box store (you would never catch me even using Dutch Boy, SW's box store brand) for $20/gallon less! There is no such thing as cheap paint! You get what you pay for---including headaches.

Be sure to degloss the trim with sandpaper or a chemical deglosser. If it is oil-based paint on there now you should use a bonding primer to make sure you get good adhesion. Alkyd primers are great equalizers but they are oil-based and many don't like working with them or cannot even buy them any more in some areas. A good, bonding, latex primer will work too.

Use a primer tinted to 60 percent of your color formula if you are covering dark colors with light or light with dark.

If you are going to paint it anyhow, I would change the trim to a cream, off-white or whatever you had in mind. Bright white trim is popular but sometimes a bit stark, IMO. Even something slightly toned down, like Atrium White, seems to me to blend better with softer, warmer colors if you want the white trim look. Ask to borrow an off-white color fan once you have picked your wall colors.

You will definitely want to use a bonding primer on the paneling. If you are daring, you might lift off one section, if you can, to see what is underneath it. You might be happier taking it off before you paint if there is a wall surface that is decent under it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the advise! If this is a stupid question I am sorry but if I use a Alkyd primer, do I then have to use an oil based paint? I planned on using latex. Also for the family room paneling, would Zinser 123 be a good primer? I guess there are so many products I don't know what goes with what. I know I can ask the guys at the paint store, but I feel like they are going to possibly try to sell me products that I don't necessarily need.
vm520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can paint latex over an alkyd primer with no problem.

I cannot help you with the Zinser question. I don't use it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

You can use latex paint over oil base primer, but not latex paint over oil-base paint. You can use an oil-base primer to make the transition from oil-base paint to latex.

Zinsser 1-2-3 is an excellent bonding primer. According to what I've read on this site, most seem to agree it's one of the best on the market. I've used it in several rooms this year with much success.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #7
(the original)

Rewards Points: 612

Yup, either Bullseye 123 or BM Fresh Start All Purpose. Clean the paneling with Dirtex first.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

[quote=ratherbefishin';334829]Yup, either Bullseye 123 or BM Fresh Start All Purpose. Clean the paneling with Dirtex first.[/quote]

Most inportant

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote