Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paint Question

I think previous owner used the powder room to smoke cigars. I will be repainting the room by putting kilz primer first and then painting. Normally, I wouldn't be using primer but the paint in the powder room is very dark. The ceiling is white though, and so is the trim. Do I need to paint these latter two items to get rid of the smell? Trim is semigloss, rest is flat or latex.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
Eibwen

Paint Question

If it was smoked in a lot I would really wash the walls/ceiling good and let them dry well... I would do the whole thing since most of painting is the prep time not the materials.

Make sure your primer has a good stain blocker... Since your going lighter, nicotine stains which you may not see now will bleed thru a lighter color..

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:01 AM   #3

Paint Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
If it was smoked in a lot I would really wash the walls/ceiling good and let them dry well... I would do the whole thing since most of painting is the prep time not the materials.

Make sure your primer has a good stain blocker... Since your going lighter, nicotine stains which you may not see now will bleed thru a lighter color..
Good ideas. What do you wash the walls with?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
Eibwen

Paint Question

Paint store should have some TSP thats made for washing walls... Doesnt leave a residue like soap or other cleaners.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:52 AM   #5

Paint Question

For smoke odor, you need to start with that TSP wash. Also, when priming, you should start with nothing less than the oil-base original Kilz. No Latex primer is going to even slow down that stench. Be warned it is more likely than not you will need to bring on the Thermonuclear Weapon of primers, shellac-based, to block that smell. Zinsser BIN is a popular one here. If you do end up having to use shellac primer, you will need to purchase a respirator, as the fumes are powerful.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:54 AM   #6

Paint Question

I believe that the Kilz Premium primer (gold can) specifically states exactly what it will cover over and seal, smoke and various residue being just a few. If the trim has any gloss whatsoever, it should be primed if you intend to paint it. Today's primers are extraordinary in what they will cover and seal. I often use the Zinsser BINZ Bulls Eye Primer with Shellac on grease, oil, tar, mold and mildew stains or to cover any metallic paint that might have been used in an artistic fashion on a wall. The shellac base dries pretty quickly and it makes a good impervious barrier over the offending stain or paint.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Pro Painter

Paint Question

Nothing less than orginal kilz. Even though the latex kilz says it covers smoke, it does not cover a well smoked up room. Smoke stains will bleed through any latex product, coat after coat.

It does come down to how much smoking was done in the boys room. And with the current dark paint, you can easily be fooled.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #8
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Paint Question

The Kilz Premium is latex based
Kilz claims a lot of things
Don't believe it...it's marketing not real life

Original Kilz (oil based) is the only Kilz that has a good chance of working well in this situation

The Zinsser BIN is the better choice
Possibly overkill in this situation, can't tell from here
But it is the best, and the only thing that will work for the worst stains/smells
You can use it for fire damage
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #9

Paint Question

Hi, all!!
Another two cents added.

I must cast a vote for the Zinsser!! I have used the Kilz many times in the past and find it hard to use any Kilz other than the oil based.....IF THAT'S ALL I HAVE AVAILABLE.

I have had better results with Zinsser. It's like the energizer bunny of primers, it kicks butt!!!!

Again just my two cents!!
kjwoodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:03 PM   #10
Pro re-work contractor

Paint Question

Washing the walls well with Dirtex or TSP WILL be the most important thing you will do!!!

analog414 is offline   Reply With Quote