Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

Share |

Paint problem on exterior furniture

I ran into a problem painting some exterior furniture and am not sure how to fix it. Was hoping I could get some help here.
I first scrapped all the peeling paint off. I then sanded with 180 grit. I then sprayed on a couple coats of a water borne automotive primer. Sanded with 220 grit then applied a urethane automotive paint. Within one week I saw signs of peeling and bubbling. The color of the paint is black. Seems the problem is only were the sun light hits the surface directly. I replaced a few bad boards on some of furniture and they seem to be holding the paint fine. I am thinking I am having a problem with the sun heating up the black finish, expanding the wood and maybe steaming the moisture out?
I would appreciate any help
Thanks Dave
Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

I don't know but I do not think automotive paint was ment for wood.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
I don't know but I do not think automotive paint was ment for wood.
HI Chris,
I use automotive paint on wood all the time. This is the first time I have used it on wood that was old, out in the elements and black finish. I have sprayed automotive paint on exterior steel doors with wood edges on the door and wood door jambs with no issues many times. The paint seems to be sticking to the primer, but the primer seems to be letting loose from the bare wood and the old paint. I wonder know if I should have used some kind of bonding agent first.
Dave
Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Well, if the primer is letting go then as you said it might be a moisture problem and with it being black, this will just intensify it.I think I would still go with a slow dry oil primer and a 100% acrylic topcoat of exterior house paint if it were me.You may have had luck with the automotive paint sticking to some metal trim but I still do not think it was made to stick to wood.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote