Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #1

Share |

Paint/priming over high gloss paint without sanding?

Hello all,

I searched for a topic similar to mine but couldn't find anything, so hopefully I'm not being redundant.

After a very unfortunate (literal) run-in with the edge of our hardwood stairs by my 3 year old, resulting in a chipped tooth, we've decided we need to get a runner for our steps. That's led to having to repaint the trim portions (actual steps are stained hardwood, the surrounding trim and back/rise of the steps is gloss latex by Sherwin Williams), since some of them are stained from when we had our floors done and it just makes more sense to do it now rather than trying to work around a new runner.

So, is there any way I can repaint the painted portion of the steps without sanding or using a deglosser/liquid sandpaper? Not only do we have a 3year old, but I'm 7 months pregnant, so I'm hoping to avoid sanding (and the resulting dust), and deglosser (way too many toxic chemicals for me to use). I know Zinsser primers claim to stick to any surface without sanding, but does anyone have any experience using them? If so, do you recommend a specific one (Cover Stain? 1-2-3? Keep in mind, I can't used anything oil based. Pregnancy is really cramping my home improvement style).

Any and all help would be very much appreciated!!!

asquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 AM   #2

First, the risers are not a high wear area (although they'll occasionally get dinged by shoes). So it doesn't have to be a bullet proof paint finish.

Still, cleaning and deglossing of some sort are still recommended. Odds are you can probably just paint right over it and never have a problem. But I'd use a deglosser, which cleans and deglosses in one step, and also now comes in "green" versions that are more eco-friendly, biodegradable, and low VOC. For one example:
http://tinyurl.com/cefcuht

If you're still against that, then a quick clean and light rub with a scuffing pad will be easier than actual sanding. They look like the green scouring pads you clean your pots with and you should be able to find them in any painting department of your local home store. You don't have to kill yourself.

Last edited by jeffnc; 07-26-2012 at 10:07 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #3

Thank you so much! Excellent suggestions. I really appreciate it!
asquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #4

I just noticed you said some painted areas got stain on them. Often you'll have problems covering this with paint since the color can show through. You can try covering it with regular paint on a small test area and see how it works. If the stain shows through, you'll have to prime those areas with a stainblocker first.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

I would clean it with Dirtex, rinse with clean water, let it dry, prime with 123,( or Fresh Start) let it dry, paint No worry about the stain coming through.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
user1007 (07-26-2012)
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 AM   #6
Paint Pro

SW adhesion primer. then paint. sand only if you desire a smoother finished product.

Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote