Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Share |

Paint peels off easily

The previous owners of this house painted a room with latex paint over what appears to be an oil based paint or something like it. This house was built in the mid 1950's. The latex peels off fairly easy and I don't want to put new paint over it. What is the easist way to remove it from all four walls? Any help will be much appreciated. Thankyou in advance.

mandm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #2

Paint peels off easily

The rule is that you can paint latex over oil, but not oil over latex. Here's how to tell - You can try sanding an area with 150 grit paper. If the paint appears to be getting soft or starts to roll in balls then it latex on top. If you see the paint turning to powder then its probably oil on top.
Either way, you are not going to be able to strip the walls. If its really falling off you might try a random orbital palm sander - but it will be laborious.
Your best bet is to just prime it with a good sealing primer: Regular Kilz (not Kilz 2), BIN, or Sheildz will hold it down.

jsage5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint peels off easily

Actually, no. With proper prep you can go either way, but it is clear this was not prepped. And just putting anything on top will not cure the problem.
About all you can do is get a 3-4" (bigger if it works) putty knife and see if you can get under it and scrape it off. Big mess, but actually will get there faster than sanding.
Get it the best you can, paying special attention to any natural wear areas. Then you can use a bonding primer- or a penetrating primer. Then one's jsage said would work- i personally would use Gardz because it will penetrate and seal any edges left.
Then you will probably need to skim the room to get it smooth, sand , reprime and paint.
this is is another example of the "prime and paint in one" BS would not and does not work.

Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #4

Paint peels off easily

You start a reply off with "actually no"? How dismissive. Obviously, "with proper prep" but we are past that. Of course you can put a good primer on and then oil. We're not even sure which is over which. I'm just throwing out suggestions without being able to see the real problem. But YOU CANNOT put finish oil over latex in most cases.
Gaurdz is a good product, but for a homeowner it will be like painting with water and might be hard to roll.
JSage5 (12 years Benjamin Moore Rep)
Old 09-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint peels off easily

You said the rule, not just this circumstance.
That rule is incorrect.
Pro painter since '79. Im on the doing it daily side of the counter. I have seen my BM reps come and go. I often give feedback on how their products perform. And usually my info is useful to them.
And Sheildz? really? I wouldn't use that outdated stuff to do even what it was designed to do- prep for paper. Never even did that well.
Old 09-05-2011, 04:44 PM   #6

Paint peels off easily

I'm just throwing out information hoping this person can fix their walls. We're making decent suggestions for not seeing the walls and not knowing the components to make an accurate diagnosis - I'm just not dismissing yours.
I have been painting since '74 if you want an actual resume. Most counter jockeys know very little about painting, just selling the stuff.
If you used Gaurdz ( I mean really used it and not just sold it), you'd know its not homeowner friendly.
But....I guess you were picked last in gym class
Old 09-05-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Paint peels off easily

[quote=Brushjockey;721698]You said the rule, not just this circumstance.
That rule is incorrect.
Pro painter since '79. Im on the doing it daily side of the counter. I have seen my BM reps come and go. I often give feedback on how their products perform. And usually my info is useful to them.
And Sheildz? really? I wouldn't use that outdated stuff to do even what it was designed to do- prep for paper. Never even did that well.[/quote]

you got that right
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Paint peels off easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsage5 View Post
I'm just throwing out information hoping this person can fix their walls. We're making decent suggestions for not seeing the walls and not knowing the components to make an accurate diagnosis - I'm just not dismissing yours.
I have been painting since '74 if you want an actual resume. Most counter jockeys know very little about painting, just selling the stuff.
If you used Gaurdz ( I mean really used it and not just sold it), you'd know its not homeowner friendly.

what is? besides Behr

But....I guess you were picked last in gym class

now thats real nice

GARDZ
Old 09-05-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint peels off easily

Ok, lets play. BTW, it's Gardz. Zinsser product.
And the materials don't know if its a HO or pro. They just do what they do. People come here looking for sound advice. Anyone can write anything. i have seen some really poor advice given here by someone who painted their mom's bedroom once.
Do a search for Gardz. We recommend it often because it solves lots of problems well. Yes it has a learning curve.
So does Aura. I will recommend Aura and also talk about how to apply it. that is giving help.
You're new here. And i mean this.
Welcome-
Just remember many people read this, so give the best you know. Sometimes pro materials are the best. Sometimes actually using a pro is better than bludgeoning through a project you don't know how to do.
i will not hesitate to give that advice either.

Unfortunately this poster has a bad but common problem. it is not easily solved. I see it more often on trim than on whole walls.

Thanks for playing.
And I played in the band, so they never picked me anyway
Old 09-05-2011, 06:03 PM   #10

Paint peels off easily

Wow, jsage, easy there. BrushJockey has been a legendary contributor on here since before the telegraph. His words of wisdom are always on the money.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #11
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint peels off easily

Ya but Chrisn was here when they clanked rocks together- look at his post count..
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-05-2011)
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #12

Paint peels off easily

I'm not as familiar with all the painting products as some members on here, however one rule I live by is when in doubt, prime.

Last week I was working for a property manager doing apartment reno's. He had these guys in there working "cheap and fast" who did not prime the bathroom, just topcoated it.

Needless to say now all the paint is falling off to the touch and will need to be done again. I'm not sure what the cause was, I was guessing latex over oil? funny thing is they had a full can of primer there to use.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #13

Paint peels off easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisBC View Post
I'm not as familiar with all the painting products as some members on here, however one rule I live by is when in doubt, prime.

Last week I was working for a property manager doing apartment reno's. He had these guys in there working "cheap and fast" who did not prime the bathroom, just topcoated it.

Needless to say now all the paint is falling off to the touch and will need to be done again. I'm not sure what the cause was, I was guessing latex over oil? funny thing is they had a full can of primer there to use.
Chris, it's not necessarily latex over oil. My guess would be latex over latex semi-gloss. If the guys were in a hurry, they likely DID NOT scuff sand, remove dust from the wall, and then use a bonding primer. All that time & $$$ the property manager saved???? Not much savings now!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #14

Paint peels off easily

Yeah that could be it, I just assumed oil because of the age of the place. Those guys definitely did not do those things, considering I handed him the pail of primer before I left.

That mentality of faster/cheaper gets quite frustrating, as it goes to show that it costs more money and effort in the end. Even though it is not a high end job; there is still a proper way to do it and not cut corners.

Actually I was in there fixing something else that they did and happened to brush against the wall and all the paint fell off, and he started getting mad at me His mood was worse when I questioned him about using primer.

anyways, just wanted to throw that in as to why priming can save a headache as a recent example.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:43 AM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Paint peels off easily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
Ya but Chrisn was here when they clanked rocks together- look at his post count..
Thats right!