Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Paint Peels of in Gigantic Sheets.

"Paint Peels off in Gigantic Sheets." - I meant.

Hello all.

My wife and I recently bought a house that was completely redone on the inside (fresh paint, etc). We have noticed that if the walls get bumped the paint comes off really easy. When we touch up the damaged areas the paint bubbles out all around it.

Just a couple of days ago I repainted a room and it bubbled up in a lot of spots. Naturally, being frustrated, I started to (with my hands) pull the bubbled areas off the wall. I was able to pretty much pull the entire dried fresh coat along with the original coat of paint off the wall completely. Underneath both coats the drywall is green and has what seems to be a plastic coating over it. I have never seen drywall like this and nothing will stick to it.

I even tried using Kilz on a section and it peeled off effortlessly.

Just last night I skim coated a section of the wall and it is staying like it should so it seems that I have to remove all the old paint (won't be a problem seeing that I pull off an entire coat on the wall in one pull) and skim coat every inch of drywall.

Does this sound right? What kind of drywall would cause this? What should I do to ensure primer and paint will actually stick to it?'

Thanks in advance.

(I'll post images of it tonight)

_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
The DIYer Assistant

Paint Peels of in Gigantic Sheets.

Hey scott,
What it sounds like is you have "greenboard" under the paint, but green board doesn't usually have a plastic film on it though so that's strange, you should have been able to prime and paint like normal drywall.This type of drywall is water resistant, although not as much as a cement board. Is this in you kitchen or bathroom, or a main room? As far as the bubbling goes it makes sense, as paint cures it can give off small amounts of gas. If you're going in and repainting small spots, it's possible that these areas are releasing gas up under the original paint. Normally if paint has a good grip this doesn't happen but obviously with yours it is. If you can see, try and investigate the plastic more. If you can remove it then the rest of the repainting project should go fine.

TheDIYerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote