Paint Peeling On Hardiplank - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint peeling on hardiplank

What can I put on my hardiplank to stop the paint peeling without having to replace all the siding. The paint has been peeling since the second year it was painted.My house is in northern California and I do have snow in the winter time.

Advertisement

gingerdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

We've had nothing but problems with hardi plank here in Wisconsin. We've switched to LP smartsiding now-which I know doesn't help you but FYI.

We recently reprinted a whole home that had deteriorating paint on the Fibercement board (FCB). Our painter pressure washed and re-painted with a Sherwin Williams product of which I'm not sure but can find out.

The biggest issue we've seen with FCB is that moisture causes the paint peeling issue. You have to be able to stop what's ausing the peeling before you fix it. Ive seen dryer vents cause peeling, ice/snow damns, standing water, etc.

If you are not having water issues then just scrape the **** off, prime it with kilz, and repaint

Advertisement

Justgaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,294

I've never seen HardiPlank peel. Here in Ohio, it paints up pretty nice with SW's SuperPaint. Sometimes I reprime it with Loxon Masonry primer if it has weathered for a long time without any topcoat. Other than that, it doesn't seem to peel here in the Midwest. Sorry to here of your peeling issues in CA.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:38 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Ginger, sorry to hear of your problem, but welcome to the forum. How about a little more history of the hardi. What was it like prior to painting, was it painted or factory finished, was it peeling? What level is it peeling down to? How widespread is it? Is there any kind of pattern to the failure? A pic of close up and full shot would be helpful.
Joe
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote