Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Paint peeling from bathroom ceiling

So I have a bathroom were the ceiling paint keeps peeling from after itís repainted. I just had it done again and this time they used spackling to patch the areas that are peeling but it still is peeling. The paint I used was Zinsser paint and primer in one (Zinsser mold and Mildew proof latex acrylic - Perma-White)

The house was built in 1970 and there are many layers of paint on the walls and ceiling so Iím thinking there may be an issue with one layer of paint from before is causing the issue. The other thought is the moisture in the room is the issue but the time before when we had it painted the room was not used for a week to dry out and we still had the issue.

What can I do to stop the peeling of the paint.
I figure I have to scrap the ceiling and try to remove as much paint as I can them a layer of spackling. I will let it dry then paint on the spackling. Or do I need to remove the drywall and put up new drywall. Could I just put up a layer of drywall to cover the current one.

Help me get this so my wife is happy and I can rest.
Thanks,
Dave

dhd42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,450

I'm sure you're right that it's both the previous layers and the moisture that are the problem. First step is to scrape off all the paint on the ceiling that you can possibly manage. If you get to an area that you can't physically scrape off the wall, then it's probably not going to peel. After that, do your patching/leveling. Then put on a good bonding primer, and then finally your finish coat. Remember to use the fan religiously (or consider a humidity detecting fan).

Using a brand new layer of drywall over the old drywall is also a good option. Of course there are issues with this too. If the ceiling is small enough to use one board, that would be ideal, otherwise of course you'll have to do some joints. I would try to avoid taping all the ceiling/wall corner joints by getting a perfect cut drywall fit to begin with, then caulking instead of joints in the corners. This often works well. If you are really good with a caulk gun, can apply blue tape on the walls really well, you can even get away without repainting your walls.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Startingover (06-18-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the info. I think I would rather scrap off the old paint and level the surface to paint. The room is small enough to do with one sheet of drywall but it would be a lot of work to re-due the lights and fan with the new ceiling. Maybe I'm do for a new fan as it could be underpowered for the room.

Should I use a primer and a second paint or would the Zinsser mold and Mildew proof latex acrylic with primer be all I need to use. Maybe two coats.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #4

I'm not so worried about mold proof paint in the bathroom. For mold to grow, there has to be consistent moisture. If you have consistent moisture, your problem isn't paint - your problem is getting that moisture out of there. Fix the problem, and the problem is moisture, and that's fixed by a good fan. If you need to replace it, go ahead. First check to make sure the duct line is clear and open and the flaps are working. After that, regular paint is fine. I don't have much experience with that particular Zinsser paint. If I were doing it I'd use a separate primer and paint, because that's what I'm familiar with.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I would want to try to get some idea of what caused the original failure. See if you can identify where the peeling started. Scrape it down till you get to a solid coating that is not peeling at all, and check this surface. Is it glossy? Or perhaps chalky feeling? If the paint is coming off all the way to the drywall, it could be a bad initial bond with the Sheetrock. This can happen.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (05-16-2014)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,518

Does the fan work and how well. Hold some tissue up and see how well the fan pulls it. No reason to replace the drywall. Do not use spackle it is for very small repairs like filling nail holes.
This really sounds like a moisture problem. But years ago semi gloss was used a lot in bathrooms, it's possible somewhere along the line this happened then when it was repainted it wasn't prepped right.
I would remove the loose paint then prime with Peel Bond or Cover Stain. If you decide to skim coat it use joint compound not spackle.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
No reason to replace the drywall.
I'm not saying he should or shouldn't, but the advantage that path has is it eliminates any and all questions about bonding or old coatings or patching or peeling or prepping - start from scratch, basically, with no more guesswork or investigation.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,518

Skim coat it with new compound it will be the same new surface with a 100 times less work. As long as I have been doing this I have never seen a paint job that warranted replacing the drywall. That's like saying I have 1 light that won't work= re-wire the whole house.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #9

Well remember that his idea was simply placing a new piece of drywall over the old. Not much work that way, really. I think the analogy might be if you had a nick in an electrical wire, you can either put in a junction box and patch it, or run a brand new wire alongside the old one and abandon the old one.
Old 05-16-2014, 10:00 AM   #10
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

As other posters mentioned already, ypu need to find out what caused the problem so that it does not continue to happen. Remove all loose, flaking, peeling paint until you get to a sound area. Then you will have to skim coat to fill in any voids and the areas that you removed paint from. Prime and paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

This skim coat is new to me. I'm guessing this is like patching with spackling but a different new material. I will look this up.

Thanks for all the help folks.
Dave
Old 05-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,236

Dozens and dozens of threads on here dhd42 about skim coating. Here's a recent example:

Skim coating the entire ceiling?

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote