Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #1

Share |

Paint Peeling

I think my hallway doors have an oil based paint on them because I've painted over them before without sanding first and the sateen lustre paint I put on peeled right off. I really don't want to sand all my hallway doors, so my question is: Can I prime over an oil based paint then paint on a Behr Sateen Lustre without the paint peeling off?

Last edited by mefinnigan; 01-10-2009 at 04:50 PM.
mefinnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Paint Peeling

no this paint is no good and it will peel off. Over oil base you can paint latex or oil. over latex you can only paint latex. So this is not your problem. Do not want to sand. Then wipe them down first with wilbond. It is a liquid sander. This will help the paint stick. But stick to some quality paint. The better binder is what makes the better paint more expensive. A quality paint will cost over 35 a gallon. You will always get what you pay for in paint. So buy the good stuff unless you are painting for the fun of it.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 09:12 PM   #3

Thumbs up

Paint Peeling

Thanks for the Wil-Bond idea. I did a search for it on the Home Depot and Lowes websites and had no immmediate luck finding it there. I'll have to do a walk-in to the stores to see if I can find it someplace. However, I did find some information about it just surfing around and it does seem like the way to go! Thanks again, I hate sanding!
mefinnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #4

Paint Peeling

If it were me and it was already painted with oil, I would keep painting it oil. It looks nicer and last a bazillion times longer. If I were making the transition from oil to latex, then I would give it a good coat of oil based primer. You can coat anything over oil based primer.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #5

Paint Peeling

Matthewt,

The new Waterbourne enamels have the toughness of oil paint, without all of the application drawbacks. You might want to give them a try.

To the OP,

Give the existing paint a scuff sand, clean off the dust, prime with an oil-base primer, and then topcoat with the quality paint of your choice. (Behr isn't a quality paint.) SW ProClassic and BM Impervo Waterbourne are excellent choices for a trim coating.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Paint Peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Matthewt,

The new Waterbourne enamels have the toughness of oil paint, without all of the application drawbacks. You might want to give them a try.

To the OP,

Give the existing paint a scuff sand, clean off the dust, prime with an oil-base primer, and then topcoat with the quality paint of your choice. (Behr isn't a quality paint.) SW ProClassic and BM Impervo Waterbourne are excellent choices for a trim coating.

SirWired

IMO this is also good advise. Many painters are stuck on oil. But Latex has greatly improved in recent years and is just as good. But again, use only the quality brands from a paint store. Big box stores will not have any quality paint.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:17 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Paint Peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefinnigan View Post
I think my hallway doors have an oil based paint on them because I've painted over them before without sanding first and the sateen lustre paint I put on peeled right off. I really don't want to sand all my hallway doors, so my question is: Can I prime over an oil based paint then paint on a Behr Sateen Lustre without the paint peeling off?
Short answer:
No
In reality....sometimes latex over oil works
However, it is not a good idea

The proper, fool-proof, fix is:

Scuff sand the doors
This is NOT a big deal
You are not sanding the finish off, merely giving the next coat something to hang on to (some "tooth")
So that's a quick, light, sanding
Wipe clean, then prime with a premium quality alkyd (oil) based primer
(not Behr)
Then top coat with two coats premium quality waterborne enamel
(again, not Behr)

Then, when you want to paint again, just a quick scuff sanding, wiping, and quality enamel will be fine
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #8

Paint Peeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
Matthewt,

To the OP,

SirWired
I have used the BM line of Waterborne Enamels and they are good. And believe me, I am all for water based paints, or water reduceable paints, but in this case he is still going to have to scuff sand, clean, prime with oil, then coat with the Waterborne Enamels, or he could just paint it with an oil based paint.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote