Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Paint or Paper Over Paneling

The room in question originally had paneling, was papered with a liner (horizontally), then papered with a textured vinyl wallpaper. It is still adhering very well after many years. Now, I would like to paint the room.

I pulled a sheet of wallpaper up a bit to see what would happen. It had been properly sized etc. and came off in one piece with a bit of effort but the old paste is on the lining and is too rough to paint over. What can I do? I am afraid that anything I try will loosen the liner.

Sobeit

Cruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:49 PM   #2
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruss View Post
The room in question originally had paneling, was papered with a liner (horizontally), then papered with a textured vinyl wallpaper. It is still adhering very well after many years. Now, I would like to paint the room.

I pulled a sheet of wallpaper up a bit to see what would happen. It had been properly sized etc. and came off in one piece with a bit of effort but the old paste is on the lining and is too rough to paint over. What can I do? I am afraid that anything I try will loosen the liner.

Sobeit
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct....=221&sid=02301

Might try this stuff. I think it should handle everything except the sheet you removed. If it hardens up enough, you may be able to sand down the rough area and use a second coat of Gardz over it.
This is theory, I've not tried it yet, hope someone else will weigh in on experience with Gardz. I've got a couple of areas where paper has been applied over plaster and I'm afraid to pull down the paper for fear the plaster will come with it. Been there, done that, no fun.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I think think-try and wash the paste off. If the liner loosens up, you must remove it and start from scratch.
Clean- prime with gardz, fill seams 2x, reprime, paint
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Paper or Paint Over Liner

The liner paper was put on the paneling to give it a smooth surface, hiding the groves in the paneling, for the hanging of the wallpaper. I would oil base primer the whole thing, wallpaper and liner paper intact. You mentioned that everything was holding tight to the wall. The area that you pulled the wallpaper off of and the glue still showing (I sure hope you have not pulled ALL the wallpaper off yet) will need to be sanded down to smooth out the glue bumps. If you try to remove the adhesive with water you will more than likely damage the liner paper in which you will see the grooves in the paneling. Once the oil primer has dried you may need some joint compound applied and sanded over the seams of the wallpaper and the edge of the area where you pull the wallpaper face off. Caulk the top to the ceiling, the bottom to the base board. Dust down the walls after sanding the joint compound, prime again, you could use a latex primer now. The original oil primer has now given a moisture barrier to keep water from the surface. Then you are ready for a finish coat.

I would not trust the Guardz as your first primer coat as it is a water based product and will reactivate the adhesive under the paper and the liner, I have tried it and it really messup up my job, that is why I recommended an oil primer first coat. In some cases the Guardz will seal a SMALL amount of glue over drywall, but you are painting over layers of wallpaper, not drywall.

You have two threads asking the same question. Check both threads as they each now have different answers.

Last edited by m1951mm; 08-15-2011 at 03:17 AM. Reason: added info
m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,192

Just do it right and remove the lining paper
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Only remove the liner paper if you want grooves to show.

m1951mm is offline   Reply With Quote