Paint Over Waterproofer? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint over Waterproofer?

I have a question about how to solve a paint problem. My goal was to build a portable outdoor dance floor out of twelve sheets of ¾”x4’x8’ cabinet grade plywood. I coated both sides of each panel generously with two coats of Thomson’s WaterSeal Clear Multi-Surface WaterProofer with a paint roller. After 14 days of curing time, I put on my suede-sole dance shoes and tried out one of the panels for “dancibility”. I was very disappointed. It is not slick enough to do spins and turns. Not only that, it still feels as though there is a slight oiliness to the surface which contaminates the suede on the bottom of my dance shoes. Now, I wish I had primed and top-coated them with an oil-based gloss enamel paint. My next step was to do just that. I went to Lowe’s to their paint department, to get their advice. They recommended sanding and painting with Valspar High Performance Oil Gloss Porch & Floor Paint. So, I did a test strip. Two of the sheets need to have 12 inches ripped off of them, anyway. So I used one of these areas for a test sample. I painted the enamel on a 12”x12” patch, and let it cure for two days. To my dismay, some of the topcoat can be scooped off with my fingernail. One disappointment after another. :-( If I didn’t have so much money invested in it already, I’d start over with new sheets of plywood! So my question is, are there any paints or varnishes out there that can be applied to this sealed plywood that will provide a hard gloss surface and that stick? I really hope these sheets can be salvaged somehow.

Yours truly perplexed,
David

Advertisement

DRIFT-O-MATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 632

Paint over Waterproofer?

That plywood is never going to hold up outside, in fact no plywood is going to work for long, then you used one of the lowest rated sealers over that.
Use used an inside rated plywood, it has no waterproof glue in the plys and will delaminiate.
Also paints just not going to hold up over time on a dance floor let alone being applyed over wood that already had an oily sealer over it.
It was suggested to you on another web site to install quality linolioum over it, what happened to that idea? That would have protected the plywood from water from rain at least and have be slippery.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 586

Paint over Waterproofer?

The linoleum isn't a bad idea. Otherwise, you could buy some porch and floor paint (gloss) and apply a couple of coats. I just did this in my basement and it is surprising durable. Not sure how long it will last in the elements, but worth a shot. Probably looking at $30 for a gallon.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIFT-O-MATIC View Post
I have a question about how to solve a paint problem. My goal was to build a portable outdoor dance floor out of twelve sheets of ¾”x4’x8’ cabinet grade plywood. I coated both sides of each panel generously with two coats of Thomson’s WaterSeal Clear Multi-Surface WaterProofer with a paint roller. After 14 days of curing time, I put on my suede-sole dance shoes and tried out one of the panels for “dancibility”. I was very disappointed. It is not slick enough to do spins and turns. Not only that, it still feels as though there is a slight oiliness to the surface which contaminates the suede on the bottom of my dance shoes. Now, I wish I had primed and top-coated them with an oil-based gloss enamel paint. My next step was to do just that. I went to Lowe’s to their paint department, to get their advice. They recommended sanding and painting with Valspar High Performance Oil Gloss Porch & Floor Paint. So, I did a test strip. Two of the sheets need to have 12 inches ripped off of them, anyway. So I used one of these areas for a test sample. I painted the enamel on a 12”x12” patch, and let it cure for two days. To my dismay, some of the topcoat can be scooped off with my fingernail. One disappointment after another. :-( If I didn’t have so much money invested in it already, I’d start over with new sheets of plywood! So my question is, are there any paints or varnishes out there that can be applied to this sealed plywood that will provide a hard gloss surface and that stick? I really hope these sheets can be salvaged somehow.

Yours truly perplexed,
David
Hey David,

Since you're building a portable dance floor, I assume it's not gonna be under constant exposure to the elements? If that's the case, methinks you're in luck. Thompson's is not a bad product, if you know what you're buying from the start. It is recommended to only apply 1 light coat to plywood, at a rate of about 300 square feet per gallon...Any more than that and it could turn out "oily" (sound familiar?) - So, since you applied 2 generous coats and it is, in fact, oily...you need to clean the surface with a cleaner/degreaser to remove excess oils. Following that, allow the treated plywood to continue curing for a minimum of 30 days, then apply 1 coat of oil-based primer (not latex) and followed by 1 or 2 coats of gloss oil based floor enamel. Give this system about 10 days before vigorous testing with the old soft shoe, and you should be OK.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
(the original)

Rewards Points: 642

Paint over Waterproofer?

The point that's being missed here is that deck sealers and floor paints are engineered to NOT be slippery. Just slap a few coats of paste wax on the darn thing, buff it well, and sprinkle some powdered dance/shuffleboard wax on it when it's set up for use. I assume by "portable" that you'll be storing it indoors when not in use?
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #6

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That plywood is never going to hold up outside, in fact no plywood is going to work for long, then you used one of the lowest rated sealers over that.
Use used an inside rated plywood, it has no waterproof glue in the plys and will delaminiate.
Also paints just not going to hold up over time on a dance floor let alone being applyed over wood that already had an oily sealer over it.
It was suggested to you on another web site to install quality linolioum over it, what happened to that idea? That would have protected the plywood from water from rain at least and have be slippery.
This is a portable TEMPORARY floor. It will only be used for a few hours, and then stored inside.

I researched the linoleum idea, but all the manufacturers stated that their products are NOT for exterior use.

So, this is the route I chose, hoping it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM   #7

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
Hey David,

Since you're building a portable dance floor, I assume it's not gonna be under constant exposure to the elements? If that's the case, methinks you're in luck. Thompson's is not a bad product, if you know what you're buying from the start. It is recommended to only apply 1 light coat to plywood, at a rate of about 300 square feet per gallon...Any more than that and it could turn out "oily" (sound familiar?) - So, since you applied 2 generous coats and it is, in fact, oily...you need to clean the surface with a cleaner/degreaser to remove excess oils. Following that, allow the treated plywood to continue curing for a minimum of 30 days, then apply 1 coat of oil-based primer (not latex) and followed by 1 or 2 coats of gloss oil based floor enamel. Give this system about 10 days before vigorous testing with the old soft shoe, and you should be OK.
Thanks. That's a good idea. I will try it on a test sheet.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #8

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbefishin' View Post
The point that's being missed here is that deck sealers and floor paints are engineered to NOT be slippery. Just slap a few coats of paste wax on the darn thing, buff it well, and sprinkle some powdered dance/shuffleboard wax on it when it's set up for use. I assume by "portable" that you'll be storing it indoors when not in use?
Also a good idea. I will try this on a test strip, also. This would be the simplest solution, if it works. Thanks. I, also, would rather be fishin'.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Not a Noob or Boob

Rewards Points: 75

Paint over Waterproofer?

I agree with ratherbefishin. The products that you are using are made to cure with a low slip finish. I like the wax idea, however I have never made a dance floor.
Rob1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1975 For This Useful Post:
DRIFT-O-MATIC (02-12-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint over Waterproofer?

Occam's Razor, the simplest answer/explanation is usually the correct one. If this is to be used outside, presumably not during snow or rain--therefore only during dry, comfortable weather, and stored inside, you have no need to be concerned about "exterior". What you're describing is not an exterior application. It's qausi, but exterior products won't be required. I would investigate how a true dance floor is constructed and what type of coating they use to make it slidable, and do that. Unless you do that, you're only going to have a painted plywood deck instead of a "dance floor". I got through that without any jokes, I'm proud of myself.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Not a Noob or Boob

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Occam's Razor, the simplest answer/explanation is usually the correct one. If this is to be used outside, presumably not during snow or rain--therefore only during dry, comfortable weather, and stored inside, you have no need to be concerned about "exterior". What you're describing is not an exterior application. It's qausi, but exterior products won't be required. I would investigate how a true dance floor is constructed and what type of coating they use to make it slidable, and do that. Unless you do that, you're only going to have a painted plywood deck instead of a "dance floor". I got through that without any jokes, I'm proud of myself.
The only exception is if you are placing it on the ground. Moisture from the ground will penetrate the under side. If anything treat the bottom with exterior grade products and the top as described above.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1975 View Post
The only exception is if you are placing it on the ground. Moisture from the ground will penetrate the under side. If anything treat the bottom with exterior grade products and the top as described above.
Thanks Rob, I should have expressed that. It goes without saying. I would just suggest use of a quality waterproofing material rather than paint. Why create a surface that needs prep as opposed to just recoat over time. but, given it gets no direct exposure to harsh elements, i.e., UV, it will probably never need revisiting.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Rob1975 (02-13-2012)
Old 02-13-2012, 09:54 AM   #13

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
Thanks Rob, I should have expressed that. It goes without saying. I would just suggest use of a quality waterproofing material rather than paint. Why create a surface that needs prep as opposed to just recoat over time. but, given it gets no direct exposure to harsh elements, i.e., UV, it will probably never need revisiting.
Both very good points. However, I did mention that both sides were saturated with two generous coats of the waterproofer. So I won't need to do anything to the bottom sides. Also, I did not mention that the plywood panels will not be laying tightly against the concrete slab. I will be strategically placing pieces of old carpet under all the panels to create a floating floor effect. Only the perimeter molding will be securely attached to the slab with tapcons. This molding will function as retainers to keep the tongue and grooved plywood together, and prevent shifting.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
Not a Noob or Boob

Paint over Waterproofer?

Quote:
I agree!

Advertisement