Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2011, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paint over Wallpaper

I almost feel ridiculous asking this question, but Im curious about the responses.

Can you really paint over wallpaper? I was very annoyed a couple years back to see that my mother hired someone to paint her bathrooms and he painted over her wallpaper. It's okay, but she had a paper with some faint texture and, ick. It would annoy me in my home.

I have a wallpaper in my bathroom (no texture, lol)....I really want to paint. In 1997+, I successfully stripped 6 rooms of wallpaper, I just never want to do it again!

Any tricks?

Thanks!

CruiseDivaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint over Wallpaper

You should never paint over wallpaper. It can cause you problems and nothing says "I don't care" like painted wallpaper. If I saw it as buyer I would assume you skimped on all else as well.

Taking it down can be a pain but if you get it moist it usually comes off easily. You can use a steamer but usually a tank sprayer and warm water and fabric softener will do the trick also. Invest in a good wall scoring tool and sharp drywall knife to get under it. Work in sections.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint over Wallpaper

Wallpaper stripping has many tricks- you need patience most of all. Let the water work. Timing is everything.
I don't recommend a wallpaper scoring tool at all ( paper tiger). It will put holes in the wall that will need to be fixed. If the surface of the paper won't let water through get some very rough ( 30 grit ) sandpaper and score it with that.
Brushjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brushjockey For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (05-18-2011)
Old 05-17-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Paint over Wallpaper

Every time I see some cool wall paper I remember all the hours I've spent scraping it off walls.

Must not fall under the spell of wall paper......
Old 05-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #5

Paint over Wallpaper

I agree with Brushjockey on the scoring tool. The tiny little holes it creates doesn't allow enough water to pentrate to be effective, maybe with a steamer, but it's dicey to use a steamer on sheetrock. What the scorer does is perforate the paper and make paper that comes off in tiny pieces already, come off in tinier pieces, and it can create repair work. I have found lately that some vinyl coated paper will react to water, at least enough to separate the vinyl face from the paper backing. Usually the first hour of removing wallpapaper is trying different methods to determine which removal method is most effective in removing that particular paper. I have found that long, flexible breakaway knives are very effective at getting under the paper.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:39 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 12

Paint over Wallpaper

Great responses so far! Count me in as a "no paint" on wallpaper guy. I've tried it all on wallpaper and it still/always looks like painted wallpaper. I've primed and skim-coated, I've primed and painted, and still, it looks like painted wallpaper. To me, getting down to sound walls is what you want. Once that is done, you can deal with the cracks, holes, and other imperfections and get those walls back into paintable shape. I like everyone's comments about PATIENCE with removing wallpaper. I tell everyone that it takes at least 20 - 30 minutes of keeping the paper wet until you can TRY to remove it. If it still gives you problems, wet it some more. I have found that a cheap Wagner airless sprayer sprays on just enough water to keep the paper wet without soaking a whole room.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
NACE Coating Inspector

Paint over Wallpaper

they should sell pre-painted wall paper for people that want that look.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustangmike3789 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #8

Paint over Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You should never paint over wallpaper. It can cause you problems and nothing says "I don't care" like painted wallpaper. If I saw it as buyer I would assume you skimped on all else as well.

Taking it down can be a pain but if you get it moist it usually comes off easily. You can use a steamer but usually a tank sprayer and warm water and fabric softener will do the trick also. Invest in a good wall scoring tool and sharp drywall knife to get under it. Work in sections.

Already have all the top notch tools to do the job. (Like I said above), oh boy, I have removed wall paper many times before.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

Paint over Wallpaper

LOL

After reading all the replies,

Thanks! you all confirmed what I knew. And, as initially posted, my angst that a very reputable painter painted over my mothers bathroom wall paper should have indicated I am NOT at all for painting over wall paper.

Glad Im on the right course.

(Ive stripped off wall paper in 6 rooms folks. Thats not counting the upstairs hallway in the last house. Yes,we've done some major reno's and rehabs)

TY, everyone!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #10
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint over Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
I have found that a cheap Wagner airless sprayer sprays on just enough water to keep the paper wet without soaking a whole room.
A simple garden tank sprayer does too. Why waste $100 when $15 will do, or even mist bottles. You can only work one section at a time.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint over Wallpaper

And look, we are comparing apples to oranges wallpaper stripping again. Eighteen layers of stuff in an antique home with plaster walls underneath is not going to respond the same as a layer on drywall. No different methods for getting it all off though. And the worst when I encounter them are the stupid self-adhesive wallpaper borders. I actually find a hair dryer works as well as anything with those that have vinyl adhesives.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 18

Paint over Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Every time I see some cool wall paper I remember all the hours I've spent scraping it off walls.

Must not fall under the spell of wall paper......

Unfortunatly, this is true of a vast majority of the population. Wall paper is very simply removed IF proper wall prep is used first.

This attitude is a big reason why I am driving a blasted truck and not doing what I loved to do ,hang paper.

I am not saying you personally but just in general.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Paint over Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
they should sell pre-painted wall paper for people that want that look.

I do believe they do!
Old 05-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Paint over Wallpaper

http://www.wallpaperinstaller.com/wa...stripping.html
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #15
Learning by Doing

Paint over Wallpaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Unfortunatly, this is true of a vast majority of the population. Wall paper is very simply removed IF proper wall prep is used first.

This attitude is a big reason why I am driving a blasted truck and not doing what I loved to do ,hang paper.

I am not saying you personally but just in general.
No offense, I'm just still bitter about the 40 hours I've spent scraping postage stamp pieces of paper out of 1 room. paper, paint, paper, paint, paper, paper - the paint seemed to keep the moisture from penetrating so each layer had to be soaked!

Honestly, I've seen some AWESOME period papers that I'm debating in my 1805 dining room.