Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2013, 04:35 PM   #1

Share |

Paint over solid stain

Can I use exterior paint over solid stain? If so, which finish would be best - gloss, semi-gloss, satin, eggshell or flat?

sore thumb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #2

Paint over solid stain

Yes, you can paint over stain. Any finish you prefer is fine. Normally a satin works best on exterior surfaces. Trim, doors, windows usually get a semi-gloss.

Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (05-02-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 02:18 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint over solid stain

You would need to spot prime any bare spots before painting. Solid stains are self-priming. Most paints are not.

Just curious why you would not continue with a quality solid stain product and are thinking of switching to primer and paint?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #4

Paint over solid stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
You would need to spot prime any bare spots before painting. Solid stains are self-priming. Most paints are not.

Just curious why you would not continue with a quality solid stain product and are thinking of switching to primer and paint?
I asked in case we can't find the color we want in solid stain. Also solid stain seems so must thiner. Can I put new solid stain over old solid stain?

Thanks

PS: Send you an email through your web site.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint over solid stain

A quality solid stain (not box store crap) can be applied over any nicely prepped surface without a primer including bare wood or previously painted surfaces. I liked SW's Woodscapes. It can be tinted to any color, just like paint so you have no worries on that front.

MAB made a solid acrylic stain I once liked better but I believe its formula is one SW rescued with the acquisition of the company a few years back. Woodscapes acts, smells and looks much like the MAB product I loved.

Arborcoat is the Benjamin Moore product competing with Woodscapes. Ben Moore was my fave paint supplier but I stopped working much before I ever tried Arborcoat so cannot really comment on how it went on or held up. I would stand behind the Woodscapes I put on nicely prepped surfaces though.

I actually did not do a lot of exterior work and what I did was almost always antique wood sidings, fences and garden structure having to do with old vintage homes. Solid stain made sense. Depending on what substrate you have? Primer and paint might be a better option for you. The fact that it has solid stain now just got to my sense of curiosity as to why you would be shifting to primer and paint. Does the fact you can get solid stain in the color you want shift your thinking back to stain?

Last edited by user1007; 05-03-2013 at 08:31 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:36 AM   #6

Paint over solid stain

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
A quality solid stain (not box store crap) can be applied over any nicely prepped surface without a primer including bare wood or previously painted surfaces. I liked SW's Woodscapes. It can be tinted to any color, just like paint so you have no worries on that front.

MAB made a solid acrylic stain I once liked better but I believe its formula is one SW rescued with the acquisition of the company a few years back. Woodscapes acts, smells and looks much like the MAB product I loved.

Arborcoat is the Benjamin Moore product competing with Woodscapes. Ben Moore was my fave paint supplier but I stopped working much before I ever tried Arborcoat so cannot really comment on how it went on or held up. I would stand behind the Woodscapes I put on nicely prepped surfaces though.

I actually did not do a lot of exterior work and what I did was almost always antique wood sidings, fences and garden structure having to do with old vintage homes. Solid stain made sense. Depending on what substrate you have? Primer and paint might be a better option for you. The fact that it has solid stain now just got to my sense of curiosity as to why you would be shifting to primer and paint. Does the fact you can get solid stain in the color you want shift your thinking back to stain?
Yes, absolutely.