Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

paint over an oak fireplace

I have a golden oak fireplace mantle I would like to paint green. I'm going out on a limb with the color, but I think it will really pop in my family room. The oak just seems to blend into everything else. Any suggestions on how to go about painting this mantle. I was told oak soaks up paint and I would have to sand and prime several times before painting. Also, does anyone have any creative ideas to create an interesting mantle other than green.

silpada girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Rewards Points: 250

Painting is easy

1. Lightly sand to dull finish
2. clean dust
3. prime with a good BONDING primer, (not kilz, or anything like that, I like XIM, or Fresh Start from Benjamin Moore) I know there are other brands out there, those are just the 2 I like best, but be sure its a BONDING primer.
4. Paint with color/finish of your choice ( I like oil finishes, but latex is fine too )

Ok for ideas....what else is in the room? Are you playing off something else? What type of style do you like? Any other accent colors to work with? Take a couple pics so we can make some suggestions

NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #3

I just stained my floors cherry with czar stain and the accent wall behind the fireplace is a mustard yellow. the other colors in the room are black, white and I have rust colored couches. If I can figure out to upload pictures, I will attach...thanks
Attached Thumbnails
paint over an oak fireplace-021.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #4

Wow! What a beautiful room! I say go for it! IMHO. The towel color would be great...how about a marbling effect? It would be gorgeous. I love your gold walls. You've inspired me to paint my kitchen about that color. Good luck.
Astrovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

I am not much of a decorator but have been married to one for 34 years and I would think that a rust color pulled from the couches would be the thing, especially with the floor and wall colors.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Haste Makes Waste

I agree with Chris.....the red or rust color of the sofas would be great with the yellow and so versitile with other colors. The room is beautiful and especially those floors. The green will be a great accent color with the red and yellow.
saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

your going to paint that beautiful wood?
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomstruble View Post
your going to paint that beautiful wood?
I am with you. I wouldn't dare put paint on that beautiful wood.
Matthewt1970 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Haste Makes Waste

If you're going to paint, red would be beautiful; however, like Matthew, the oak is quite beautiful as well. Once painted, you can't go back. Another option would be to stain it darker to match the floors.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd try to stain it darker - like the floor
I wouldn't paint it either
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
If you're going to paint, red would be beautiful; however, like Matthew, the oak is quite beautiful as well. Once painted, you can't go back. Another option would be to stain it darker to match the floors.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:06 AM   #12

thank you all for your suggestions about painting my fireplace. Now that I have all my furniture in place, (I will be replacing the coffee table with either a black or other dark color wood), I am questioning the green. I don't want the room too dark, so I ruled out a stain to contrast my floors, although others have said staining would be beautiful since oak has nice qualities to it. White or cream would lighten things up, but I want to keep the room as ecclectic as I can. I am not a formal or colonial type of person. I use this room for everything. My goal is to make my fireplace interesting, so that I like it and I like to keep things bright, especially now with the darker floors. Please have a look at the new pics and tell me what you think....thanks so much.
Attached Thumbnails
paint over an oak fireplace-001.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 08:49 AM   #13
Haste Makes Waste

THE ROOM IS BEAUTIFUL!!!
If this were my room....I'd stain the mantle in a lighter shade of the cherry floor or a red oak stain; this would allow you to bring the warm hues of the floor color up the wall to tie the mantle in with the rest of the room (although I love oak, the mantle now is very pale in comparison with the rest of the room - looking as if it doesn't belong). If you still want to paint it, I'd go with the same color as the baseboards and side shelving.

I'd change the scarf over the patio doors to the shade of green you had in your first picture and I'd also have sofa cushions made with both green and red (and maybe some yellow). I'd use the green for small items placed on the mantle and elsewhere in the room. If there are other curtains/drapes in the room and it becomes too much green, then I'd use a green with white, cream or yellow print of some type.

Once you have enough of the green to balance out the red and yellow you could then put in a new rug reflecting those colors.

Also, I'd consider red oak or cherry tables or ones painted to match the white/off-white shelving (and mantle if you choose to paint it white). The lighter tables would offer the lightness you want in the room if the wooden tables make it too dark. ..... if using wooden tables, go lighter with the rug or lighter tables and darker rug, etc.

My personal opinion...no black tables (unless they are nice laquered asian tables which doesn't appear to be the theme here). Many times black tables seem to give off a cheap, plastic, dime-a-dozen at a nationwide discount store appearance. If you do use black, nice laquered asian tables would be beautiful in this room if decorated with an oriental theme. (You have certainly chosen the best colors if going oriental.)

I would love to see the final pic of this room. These large bright rooms are perfect for the bold, bright and darker colors. Your color selection is great. Good luck in your choices.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #14
Coatings Nerd

I agree, dark stain would look nice. Either a very deep red, or black (Ebony). Another idea would be antiquing. Seems that you have some Modern style there, antiqued pieces go nicely with that style IMO.

To antique, you would first paint white, then follow with a good darker Gel Stain. You brush the stain over the paint, then wipe off with a rag. The stain colors the paint lightly making it somewhat off white (aged) looking. The stain also takes darker into the detail work giving alot of contrast. If you were to do this, I think you would need to do this to the cabinet's and trim too so that it all ties together. Would mean more work for you, but could really set the room off. Keep the coffee table you have, and antique the bottom thats white, and Satin Oil Black the top

*** I'm working on a step by step antiquing process with photos ***
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 AM   #15
Haste Makes Waste

Another thought....when re-decorating, I'd change the mirror to gold, brass, white (or black - matching the fireplace screen) keeping in the warm color scheme.

The existing coffee table ... the white looks okay but those legs need to go . If you wanted to keep the tables, you could change the legs making a more sleek design (the wood top is very nice).

And that spot between the sliding doors and the fireplace is great for a very long and narrow painting or a tall 6ft plant.