Paint On Outside Door Trims Peeling (Again) - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint On Outside Door Trims Peeling (Again)

I painted my outside door trims white 3 years ago with Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel Oil Base Gloss White.

It is already peeling. I also wire brushed and wiped it down good when I did it. They are now needing to be repainted for the third time in the 10 years I've owned this new home.

What is going on with this?

Advertisement

alan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
NACE Coating Inspector

Rewards Points: 500

have you been using any primer? a wire brush is fine for removing some of the loose paint. you should also sand the surface to provide a profile for the paint to bite to.

Advertisement

mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmike3789 View Post
have you been using any primer? a wire brush is fine for removing some of the loose paint. you should also sand the surface to provide a profile for the paint to bite to.
Not really so evidently this stuff is way to complicated for me and I should have researched door trim painting before wasting my time and money.

After hearing that I am a little angry that a sales person at a paint store where paint is the only thing they sell didn't qualify me better on my purchase by asking me what I was using it for and thus could have recommended primer and any other technique I needed to use to get the most out of the paint to save me some troulbe.

As a result I have trouble and am writing Sherwin Williams about my experience.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan93 View Post
Not really so evidently this stuff is way to complicated for me and I should have researched door trim painting before wasting my time and money.

After hearing that I am a little angry that a sales person at a paint store where paint is the only thing they sell didn't qualify me better on my purchase by asking me what I was using it for and thus could have recommended primer and any other technique I needed to use to get the most out of the paint to save me some troulbe.

As a result I have trouble and am writing Sherwin Williams about my experience.

Thanks.
Did YOU ask any questions? It is not the sales persons job to qualify every sale. You need to ask pertinent questions that they would be happy to answer and sell more of the proper products.

If you just went in and bought th paint, then they thought you knew what you wanted and what you were doing,apparently this was not the case.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,300

Sorry, but three years is about all you get out of wood door trim. It usually wicks water up from the bottom causing peeling near the base.........poor design flaw IMO. Also, most door trim (brick mold) is finger jointed wood and is prone to early paint failure. It's just one of those things you have to maintain every 2 or 3 years.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Alan, when you say "it's peeling", what does that mean? Where on the frame is it peeling? What is it peeling down to, bare wood or another paint layer? Gymschu stole my thunder, again. He's onto something about the base of the frames, which have a terrible track record for holding paint. Please be a little more specific with what, how, and where it's failing.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Did YOU ask any questions? It is not the sales persons job to qualify every sale. You need to ask pertinent questions that they would be happy to answer and sell more of the proper products.

If you just went in and bought th paint, then they thought you knew what you wanted and what you were doing,apparently this was not the case.
Not to mention that the lable on the back of the can has instructions, including prep and primining.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 09:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
Alan, when you say "it's peeling", what does that mean? Where on the frame is it peeling? What is it peeling down to, bare wood or another paint layer? Gymschu stole my thunder, again. He's onto something about the base of the frames, which have a terrible track record for holding paint. Please be a little more specific with what, how, and where it's failing.
I am patting myself on the back as I have "stolen the thunder" from Joe twice this week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (08-14-2011)
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Great minds think alike. I believe it's twice in one day, if not mistaken.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
jschaben

Rewards Points: 502

If this is the third go around in 10 years I would be inclined to replace it. Get new trim, prime and paint ALL faces, including the inside face and especially the ends, before installing it. Oil primer and topcoat.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #11

I think flaking is a better word for it and only in certain places but it will need to be redone.

Didn't see the word "directions" on label but I saw the word "wood" and under it it mentioned A-100 oil primer.

Learn something new every day.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschaben View Post
If this is the third go around in 10 years I would be inclined to replace it. Get new trim, prime and paint ALL faces, including the inside face and especially the ends, before installing it. Oil primer and topcoat.
Speaking of replacing it. I have some rot at the bottom of one of the doors on the north side of the house. (storms come in from north west usually).

Whats the best way to repair that? Pull the entire frame (or only piece with rot) and replace with full trim?

I'm guessing about $200 for a job like that, am I right?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Sorry, but three years is about all you get out of wood door trim. It usually wicks water up from the bottom causing peeling near the base.........poor design flaw IMO. Also, most door trim (brick mold) is finger jointed wood and is prone to early paint failure. It's just one of those things you have to maintain every 2 or 3 years.

ok , perhaps so, and I learned yet something else today. Life is harder when maintaining a home.

But I noticed the white railing on front of house (southside) seems to be holding up well I think i did at least 2 coats on it.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:00 PM   #14

If it is indeed Brickmold, alan, you can replace it with PVC brickmold that won't rot and won't need painted.

Advertisement