Paint Not Covering My Exterior Front Door - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint not covering my exterior front door

I have an old wood front door that I started to paint using Glidden exterior premium semi-gloss white paint. I lightly sanded between coats, however the original blue color is bleeding through. When I painted the inside of my house I used all Benjamin Moore paint and was satisfied with the results. I have some Impervo Satin waterbourne acrylic low lustre enamel paint left over that I used on my inside doors and base boards and was wondering if I can use this on the outside of my front door. I live in south Florida and don't know what harm an interior paint can do on an exterior door. There's a storm door protecting the door I am talking about. Thanks. rlbrown4253

Advertisement

rlbrown4253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
If its ugly.. Paint it!

Rewards Points: 10

Dark colors like blues need to be primed first ( preferably with an oil base primer/stainblocker) or you'll never stop the color bleeding. Also, Glidden is considered garbage in the industry, that's why its the cheapest thing on shelf @ Home Depot. You need to get a tough exterior paint made for doors & trim. If your happy with BM now is not the time to switch brands especially since your doing a front entrance. Go to an actual BM paint store/dealer & they'll give you what you need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbrown4253 View Post
I have an old wood front door that I started to paint using Glidden exterior premium semi-gloss white paint. I lightly sanded between coats, however the original blue color is bleeding through. When I painted the inside of my house I used all Benjamin Moore paint and was satisfied with the results. I have some Impervo Satin waterbourne acrylic low lustre enamel paint left over that I used on my inside doors and base boards and was wondering if I can use this on the outside of my front door. I live in south Florida and don't know what harm an interior paint can do on an exterior door. There's a storm door protecting the door I am talking about. Thanks. rlbrown4253

Advertisement

Last edited by brushmonkey; 03-14-2010 at 03:50 PM.
brushmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:54 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,070

Interior paint is not designed to withstand the weather extremes that exterior will. Stick with exterior paint but throw that Glidden right in the garbage where it belongs. Go get some MooreGlo or MooreGuard if you like Benjamin Moore.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

You don't HAVE to use an oil primer, any quality acrylic will do. I would give everything a good sanding and use a good coating like Sherwin Williams Resilience, you can get it in quarts (plenty for what you need) and IT WILL COVER.
PaintinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

Is the old color bleeding through or showing through? Given that white generally has notoriously poor coverage, my guess is showing. You need more coats with a quality exterior paint. If it is bleeding, than you need to give it a proper priming.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

The WB Satin Impervo won't hold up outside

The blue door really should have been primed before painting it white

At this point I'd head back to the BM store and get a qt. of Exterior Aura Low Lustre
It'll cover it

The Exterior Aura Semi-Gloss is not as high build as the LL (won't hide the blue as well), but it's still better than the Glidden

Advertisement

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote