Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Share |
Question

paint not adhering to kitchen cupboards

Hi,
I painted over existing oil painted cupboards with Behr interior latex enamel in a satin finish but now that it is dry , i find i can easily scrape off the paint. They dont sell oil based paint anymore (banned) and i wonder if i use Behrs enamel (latex) paint and primer in one product that will help? Or what else could i do to have paint adhere without removing what i have already done?
fixthehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

You will need to remove the latex you applied( one way or another), lightly sand the oil paint, apply a QUALITY bonding primer and 2 QUALITY top coats of latex.This means you MUST go to a real paint store. Pitch out the Behr crap and do not even consider the primer and paint combo.You cannot paint latex over oil without prep work first.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
You will need to remove the latex you applied( one way or another), lightly sand the oil paint, apply a QUALITY bonding primer and 2 QUALITY top coats of latex.This means you MUST go to a real paint store. Pitch out the Behr crap and do not even consider the primer and paint combo.You cannot paint latex over oil without prep work first.
TRUE! The Behr paint and primer in one is a marketing scam. I would use Zinsser's oil based primer, cover stain:http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=222, then two coats of the best acyrlic paint in the market, pratt and lambert's accolade line: http://www.prattandlambert.com/pdf/p...heets/4000.pdf
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #4

ditto on the Zinsser
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Stairguy

http://www.econtractorstore.com/cgi-...r-Sealer-Quart

This stuff is the best I have ever used. It's a shellac based primer and bonds to just about anything. I used this stuff over my polyurethaned cabinets without even sanding and the latex I put on after worked great. I dripped some of this primer on my stainless steel sink and it is still there because I couldnt get it off. By the way you can get it at Home Depot.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #6

Bin will work just fine but is overkill as it is more of a stain blocker primer and has the smell to back it up.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
Bin will work just fine but is overkill as it is more of a stain blocker primer and has the smell to back it up.
For me,I would say the same for Cover Stain. They both have their place but for most applications,I still use Fresh Start or 123

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #8
logistics

The BEHR paint didnt fail here but you need to remove it. Any top of the line acrylic paint would have done the same thing. You cant paint acrylic over oil and expect any nice results or durability.

Like Chris said, you'll need a bonding primer but that behr has to come off. Zinsser "Odorless Oil" or Zinsser "Cover Stain" are both good for that.

Its not that BEHR ULTRA primer in one is bad at all but its acrylic that you cant paint over oil. You could top coat with Behr Ultra after the oil is primed.
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 09:50 AM   #9

I agree with everyone here. Whenever I paint cabinets or vanities for my clients, I know that I ALWAYS need to use a good primer so the paint will adhere to the surface. Good luck.
DebbieArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #10

I would suggest that you sand until nothing comes of anymore and buy an alkyde primer like an oderless alkyde primer buy zinsser or another brand but I know that this one works well, and applie one coat than let dry over night an paint with a water base color of your choice after.
dello is offline   Reply With Quote