Paint Masking - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

paint masking

I'm looking at buying a paint sprayer to save time, but it sounds like you have to mask off everything to prevent over spray. is there any product out there that helps with the masking job to make it go quicker? Seems like the time you save in painting would be taken up in masking and clean-up

Advertisement

don scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 694

paint masking

And you would be right.
Stick with a 2-1/2 sash brush and a 1/2 nap roller.
Do not cheap out and by a cheap brush, roller covers, or paint. Go to a real paint store for the materaisl and for great advice, not a box store.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,690

paint masking

Quote:
Originally Posted by don scott View Post
I'm looking at buying a paint sprayer to save time, but it sounds like you have to mask off everything to prevent over spray. is there any product out there that helps with the masking job to make it go quicker? Seems like the time you save in painting would be taken up in masking and clean-up
Absolutely It's called a hand masker you can get it at Sherwin Williams as a kit so it comes with the cutter and rolls of plastic. It cuts masking time by at least half.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 694

paint masking

Never once have I seen any pro painter using tape when painting trim.
1/2 the time it ends up rpping off some of the paint.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

paint masking

Quote:
Originally Posted by don scott View Post
Hiya Don,

Just be aware that sprayers aren't always the time savers you may think - there is a whole lot more preparation involved than when painting with a brush and roller - and additional drops and masking supplies, coupled with the extra amount of clean-up time, may prove to be more costly in the long run (not to mention the maintenance and amount of time it takes to clean a sprayer in between jobs).

What type of spraying are you considering? Interiors? Exteriors? Wood finishing? If you're considering a hand-held "buzz" gun, I think you're kinda wasting your time and money. For walls and exterior work, a 1/2 gpm airless will work great, but is also capable of making a tremendous mess...An HVLP unit is great for wood & fine finishing, but really doesn't save a whole lot of time versus a brush (especially when you factor in add'l masking, drops, and sprayer clean-up). Whatever you decide, practice - practice - practice, before committing to spraying any job or project.

To answer your question about masking, ToolSeeker mentioned the hand masker - and they are great time-saving tools. Personally I prefer to use masking paper in mine, instead of plastic, but that's a "to each his own" thing... and ALWAYS, ALWAYS use a high quality masking tape - ALWAYS. "Blue" tapes are extremely popular now 'cause the adhesives used does not require immediate removal of tape, but unfortunately not all blue tapes are created equal. It won't save you any money to go with a cheap tape that either doesn't stick well enough, or doesn't release when you need it to. Personally I use 1" frog tape in my hand masker with great results.
ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ric knows paint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-06-2013), ToolSeeker (03-06-2013)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,304

paint masking

Ric, your post about spraying should be a "sticky". I would venture to say that threads about spraying are #1 here in the painting forum.

Advertisement

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote