Paint For HVLP Sprayer - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Paint for HVLP sprayer

I need to spray paint a piece of furniture. I need a paint that I can use with a home brew 3 stage HVLP turbine. I have a Sherwin Williams store close by. Do they have a suitable paint thats thin enough for HVLP application? I've only used my sprayer for shellac and thinner wood working finishes so not sure what paint would be best. Thanks

Advertisement

Mike in Arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint for HVLP sprayer

Assuming you have enough pressure, it is probably a new spray tip you want to buy to spray whatever you want they have to offer. In addition to nice paint they have.

Thin with Penetrol (solvent based) or Floetrol (water based) whenever you can. Both are cheap. Mineral spirits, thinner, water will work only to a point and will degrade nice paint if you get carried away.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 01-21-2010 at 11:54 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Paint for HVLP sprayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Assuming you have enough pressure, it is probably a new spray tip you want to buy to spray whatever you want they have to offer. In addition to nice paint they have.

Thin with Penetrol (solvent based) or Floetrol (water based) whenever you can. Both are cheap. Mineral spirits, thinner, water will work only to a point and will degrade nice paint if you get carried away.

will floetrol weaken the paint
rickboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Paint for HVLP sprayer

With a three-four stage turbine you can normally use thicker paints such as latex, enamels and latex with acrylic binders through an HVLP. You will need the proper tip based on what you choose to spray and if you do need to thin, the thinners mentioned are for that purpose and won't hurt the paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #5

Paint for HVLP sprayer

Thanks everyone. I went to SW and bought a latex enamel they recommended. For some reason, my Grayco gun isn't atomizing it well even with the air turned up all the way and thinned quite a bit with flotrol (sp) and/or water. The paint can says it has ground silica in it. Not sure if that would cause the problem. It does kind of even out before it dries so maybe it will be okay.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

Paint for HVLP sprayer

what size tip are you using? What kind of "homebrew" sprayer are you using? How many stage turbine?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Paint for HVLP sprayer

it's a Grayco gun and doesn't have interchangable tips. i've sprayed latex thinned somewhat before so I know it should be doing a better job. The home made turbine is a vacuum cleaner blower in a box which is all any of the commercial models are. Three stage Lamb. Been using it for years. The painting is completed and it looks okay, just not quite as smooth as if the gun had been working properly with this particular (and expensive) latex enamel paint. I guess the Flotrol did a good job of retarding the drying enough so it leveled out okay.

Advertisement