Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #1

Share |

Paint for garage?

New guy here and I am going to finally fix up my garage. The garage is 42x22 with 10' ceiling. When I built the house I had the garage sheet rocked but not painted so the walls and ceiling are 12 years old now but have never been painted. I am going to put down epoxy on the floors but I am trying to decide on which paint to use. I need something with decent cover ability that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

So far, from my research I am thinking about Olympic FastHide interior PVA primer and Glidden Premium Satin for the main coats.

Anyone have any experience with either of these or any recommendations?

Earl

retfr8flyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #2

Paint for garage?

My Go to primmer is Zinzeer 123.
Any quality top coat will work but a low sheen like that will hide the flaws better but be harder to clean.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #3

Paint for garage?

I have read good reviews on the 123 but it's almost double the cost of the Olympic and it's going over plain drywall so I think the Olympic should work fine, it also has good reviews. I am undecided whether to go with a semi gloss instead of the satin. My experience with semi gloss hasn't been good, as far as coverage goes. Every time I have used it, regardless of the quality of the paint, I have had to do at least 2 or more coats and roller marks really show up. I also haven't had good luck spot repairing areas with semi gloss. Even though it's a garage and the walls will probably get marks on them I am leaning towards the satin. It should be fairly washable and still go on easier then semi gloss.

I don't want to put any more coats on these walls then I have to, I hate painting.

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

Paint for garage?

I would use 1-2-3.The drywall is twelve years old and I have seen old unpainted drywall turn yellow and bleed through cheap primers.Satin would be fine for a topcoat but you need two coats of finish.
Gymschu (03-18-2013), ToolSeeker (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 02:13 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Paint for garage?

Do you have a PPG store nearby?
They have a Speedhide paint for about $25 or so that would suit this project perfectly
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:33 AM   #6

Paint for garage?

If the drywall is old, unpainted, and browning, I always go to Cover Stain. I don't know what causes drywall to brown, and I don't know if it bleeds, but I don't take the chance. Remember, as a pro, if it bleeds I pay to redo. OP, your best bet for one coat coverage is a flat, a cheap builder flat. It may not wash well, but it will touch up easily. Being honest, how often would you wipe the walls anyway? I find most people inquire about remaining paint for touch up, but almost never touch up.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (03-18-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:38 AM   #7

Paint for garage?

Old drywall at this point may discolor to some extent, when it is wetted. I agree with j sheridan.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM   #8

Paint for garage?

OK. Thanks guys, I guess I'll go with the 123 then. I have decided to two tone the walls. I am going to do a Ford blue on the bottom, a red 12inch stripe in the middle and then white above. I am going to use semi gloss for the blue and red and use satin for the white. I think this will give me a great looking garage that, with the semi gloss, I can clean the area most likely to get damaged easily.

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
JOATMON

Paint for garage?

Be prepared to have to use 2 coats of primer....and don't rush it....give each coat time to dry.

For the top coat I would suggest exterior hi gloss or semi-gloss....why? It will withstand abuse a bit better and dust (especially saw dust) does not stick to gloss paint as easy.

I would also suggest little or no texture. Actually, I've had good luck using hi gloss paint with a heavy nap roller. I use the same roller for both primer and paint...puts sort of an orange peel texture on the wall...just enough to hide small 'imperfections' and break up the light reflections. The hi gloss also does wonders for increasing the light reflection and improving the overall lighting in the garage.

Click on the Garage Build link in my sig for pictures.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #10

Paint for garage?

OK as soon as I get 10 post I can see you links.

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #11

Paint for garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
If the drywall is old, unpainted, and browning, I always go to Cover Stain. I don't know what causes drywall to brown, and I don't know if it bleeds, but I don't take the chance. Remember, as a pro, if it bleeds I pay to redo. OP, your best bet for one coat coverage is a flat, a cheap builder flat. It may not wash well, but it will touch up easily. Being honest, how often would you wipe the walls anyway? I find most people inquire about remaining paint for touch up, but almost never touch up.
It will if it's brown enough.Seen it many times.You may be right,an oil base may be needed if it's turned enough.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:41 PM   #12

Paint for garage?

Well the dry wall isn't really brown, it's not much different in shade then new wall board. I don't really think I will have a problem with the primer if I use the 123. I ran accross a deal today that I wanted to ask opinions on. I found an Ace hardware store that still has some Prat & Lambert Accolade on the shelves. Now Ace doesn't carry this paint anymore so he will sell it to me for $20 a gallon. The paint is about 3 years old but we opened one and it looked and smelled just fine. I have read good thing about Accolade and I don't think I can pass up this deal. Would I be making a mistake or is this really the deal I think it is?

Earl
Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint for garage?

Pretty swanky for a garage- looks good.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Roofmaster

Paint for garage?

I Primed mine with bullseye and put a semigloss exterior off white on mine. I Sprayed mine with my airless. Needless to say I bought a 5 of each.

Sounds like you have a really nice sized garage. Fast too, with the racing stripe.

jagans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:31 PM   #15

Paint for garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I Primed mine with bullseye and put a semigloss exterior off white on mine. I Sprayed mine with my airless. Needless to say I bought a 5 of each.

Sounds like you have a really nice sized garage. Fast too, with the racing stripe.
Well it will go with my Mustang. Actually that's one of the factors in the two tone scheme, Ford blue on the bottom.

Earl