Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:37 PM   #1

Share |

Paint Flashing Problems Due to Spackling

Hey all, thanks in advance for any help that can be offered. I recently speckled a fair large hole in my wall due to snaking a multitude of wires for a flatscreen TV. I have watched my dad who is a fairly well versed and knowledgable DIY'er and many many youtube videos on the proper application and finishing touches when it comes to a proper spackle job. Before painting with primer I repeatedly made sure that there where no bumps or ripples in the wall and that it layer totally flat with the untouched area of the wall. However a few hours later after applying the first coat of paint you can see in the picture provided the paint clearly shoes in the light where the spackle was applied due to the flashing effect. I did everything that nearly every site tells you to do and i am fairly confident my spackle application was done correctly. The primer is the first thin coat I applied and it is benjamin moore fresh start primer. Before I proceed with a second coat of primer I am looking for any help or suggestions to remove this effect. I am currently planning on now applying a second coat of primer to the entire wall and finish up with benjamin moore regal select color paint application to match the rest of the room, perhaps two coats as well. Thanks for the help guys!

FLASHING PHOTO LINK

http://www.flickr.com/photos/80006555@N05/8187626134/in/photostream
vinnyvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A few things to think about.

- You don't really gain anything by applying a second coat of primer (unless your first coat went on too thin due to the wrong nap roller cover or something) but you won't hurt anything hitting it twice if you want. And doing the entire wall should give you a uniform surface.

- Make sure you have a thick enough nap roller cover. 3/8 would be the absolute minimum for just about anything. 1/2 is better and some use 3/4 on a somewhat regular basis and especially for walls with any degree of texture. Obviously you would go to yet a heavier nap for heavy texture, brick, etc.

- It is very hard even for those of us who have been (or were) at this for ages to feather in a repaired spot so we usually just do the entire involved wall if at all possible. So you are on the right track with your new approach.

- Don't race drying times of your materials!

- You need two coats of finish over the primer to ensure a nice paint film thickness, improve colorfastness and set a uniform sheen.

- Remember that waterbased paints take 30 days to cure and this is especially noticeable the further away from flat you choose for your finish.

- Surface variations become more noticeable as you raise the sheen of the finish.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
paper hanger and painter

yes to what he ^ said

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

Usually if I'm using spackle, I allow it to dry good.......it takes a long time to dry! Sand well, wipe off excess dust and apply a DRYWALL primer that will soak into the patch. Allow to dry thoroughly. Then I hit the spots with the roller and the paint and allow this to dry. Then I apply a full 2 coats on the wall. So, in essence, I am priming and applying 3 coats to the patches and 2 coats to the rest of the wall. Rarely have I had any flashing using this method.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Your saying the first thin coat, I sure hope you did not really mean the first coat of primer was thined, as in you added water to it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #6

For some reason I can't pull up the photo but are you sure your touch-up paint is the same sheen as the original. and if you do try another coat of primer try a little thicker.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Your saying the first thin coat, I sure hope you did not really mean the first coat of primer was thined, as in you added water to it.
I don't see anything about primer being thinned. Just enough applied to saturate the patch. And again the suggestion not to race your materials. Allow them to dry between coats or all is for not.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #8

I was able to pull up the picture and it does indeed look like flashing. I would coat those flashed areas once, allow it to dry and then apply a full coat to the whole wall.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Usually if I'm using spackle, I allow it to dry good.......it takes a long time to dry! Sand well, wipe off excess dust and apply a DRYWALL primer that will soak into the patch. Allow to dry thoroughly. Then I hit the spots with the roller and the paint and allow this to dry. Then I apply a full 2 coats on the wall. So, in essence, I am priming and applying 3 coats to the patches and 2 coats to the rest of the wall. Rarely have I had any flashing using this method.

Once would be too many for me

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-15-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

As stated you need 3 coats over any patchwork/joint compound. Preferably the first coat being an actual primer and then 2 finish coats. Only thin your paint or primer if it is too thick and won’t allow good penetration. Thin too much and you will have bonding and coverage issues.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #11

I noticed that OP didn't spec, nor did anyone ask him, what sheen of paint he applied. From the picture, if you look closely, it looks as if the haze occupies a two by four foot sqaure area. And that's only the first coat of finish. To me it looks like wisps of white showing through an inadequately covering first coat. Besides, I'm fairly confident that two coats of Regal Select, even without primer, would not leave a flash that heinous.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
I noticed that OP didn't spec, nor did anyone ask him, what sheen of paint he applied. From the picture, if you look closely, it looks as if the haze occupies a two by four foot sqaure area. And that's only the first coat of finish. To me it looks like wisps of white showing through an inadequately covering first coat. Besides, I'm fairly confident that two coats of Regal Select, even without primer, would not leave a flash that heinous.
Welcome back, Joe! Long time no hear! Good to see your words of wisdom back on the forum after what was likely a very busy painting season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
Brushjockey (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Welcome back, Joe! Long time no hear! Good to see your words of wisdom back on the forum after what was likely a very busy painting season.
Thanks guys, all of you. I've been checking in from time to time, mostly lurking. The forum is in good hands without me , lol.

Business was brisk for a while, but we were also at the height of the political season, and I'm not happy. I'm very political.

I missed participating, and I'm planning so far to be back regularly. It's good to see the regular stalwarts are here and working hard. Good to be back among good company, even you JoeCaption

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:05 PM   #14
paper hanger and painter

[quote=jsheridan;1055180]Thanks guys, all of you. I've been checking in from time to time, mostly lurking. The forum is in good hands without me , lol.

Business was brisk for a while, but we were also at the height of the political season, and I'm not happy. I'm very political.

I missed participating, and I'm planning so far to be back regularly. It's good to see the regular stalwarts are here and working hard. Good to be back among good company, even you JoeCaption[/quote]

The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:39 PM   #15

I believe Joe Caption set the unofficial DIYChatroom record for getting to 10,000 posts in the shortest amount of time.......I believe 38 days which smashed the old record of 66 days.