Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Paint Failure on Exterior Wood

I have some exposed wood window headers like in this pic (this isn't mine, but the idea is the same): http://gabrielphotographic.com/santa...dow_&_girl.htm

This wood is about 60 years old and was probably oiled originally but now is dry. There are some areas that were damaged on some of the headers that I had to patch with epoxy, so re-oiling them isn't an option anymore (i.e., they don't look too great, bare).

They had been painted by the previous owner with a single coat of acrylic which bubbled and peeled of course.

Last year I sanded them all the way down and repainted with an oil-based primer and then an acrylic topcoat. Both layers have since started to peel away from the wood again.

Since I am going to have to do this every fall until I get it right, does anyone have ideas about what is causing this paint failure and how to fix it? It's good exercise to strip and repaint but I'm not sure I really want to do it every year.

P.S. - I don't remember if it was sunny and/or hot last year when I painted, could that have been the issue? Most of them do face west, and can be really warm and sunny in the afternoon, even in the fall.

Genhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:51 PM   #2

By all means avoid painting in direct sunlight at all costs. Sounds like maybe the top layes of the wood are too dried out. I would sand off a good 1/16" - 1/8" and repeat the oil primer and latex paint. You can also try thinning the oil with some paint thinner so it penetrated better. Don't be afraid to put 2 coats of primer on if it does soak in real good.

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewt1970 View Post
By all means avoid painting in direct sunlight at all costs. Sounds like maybe the top layes of the wood are too dried out. I would sand off a good 1/16" - 1/8" and repeat the oil primer and latex paint. You can also try thinning the oil with some paint thinner so it penetrated better. Don't be afraid to put 2 coats of primer on if it does soak in real good.
Actually, sand it down again to nothing and use a stain. if you want a painted look, go for a solid oil stain. it's self priming. if you want the grain to show, use a semi trans. anyways, be sure to refinish it in the shade or when the surface temp is cool.
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't want to stain them, just because the repairs in some places are large and unattractive... I don't think they'll look right with stain, the paint hides the blemishes much better. Also, they are turquoise, and my tenants love the color.

I will strip them down again and give it another go.
Genhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genhawk21 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't want to stain them, just because the repairs in some places are large and unattractive... I don't think they'll look right with stain, the paint hides the blemishes much better. Also, they are turquoise, and my tenants love the color.

I will strip them down again and give it another go.
then use a good oil primer like zinssers cover stain:
http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=222 and then two coats of the best paint available: http://californiapaint.com/paint_p&l.htm
hammerheart14 is offline   Reply With Quote