Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
Haste Makes Waste

Rewards Points: 250

Paint Failing

Slick, in another thread you mentioned you've had paint fail by using Kilz Latex primer. What exactly happens when paint fails. The reason I'm asking is I used Kilz2 Latex Primer in three rooms. I used Kilz paint in two of the rooms and Behr (crap) in the other room. Should I worry about paint failure? And what exactly happens when paint fails. Two of these rooms are kitchen and bath and I'll be washing those walls. Paint is about a month old now. Thanks for your help.

saggdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Failing

Saggdevil –

From your post it looks as though you may have had an issue with Behr products recently. I am sorry to hear about the adverse experience you had using Behr paint. I work for the Behr brand and we are very interested in making sure that each of our customers is completely satisfied with their purchase. We would like to be able to ask you a few questions regarding your experience and assist you with any issues you may have had.

Please contact us directly through Behr.com for further assistance.

Thanks,

e-behr
Behr Support

e-behr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Paint Failing

Please contact us directly through Behr.com for further assistance.

Good luck
chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Haste Makes Waste

Paint Failing

Chris....don't think I'll waste my time . The Behr paint was given to me (I love the color) by a friend that did her bathroom in same color. She loves Behr paint, so that tells me something. I've used a variety of paints but that's one I've never bought and don't ever intend to. Once was enough, lol.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:27 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint Failing

Actually I contacted Behr today & received an immediate response. 1st an automated response - we have received your E-mail. Then an e-mail that was specific (mentioned the specific cans I bought) & detailed what I needed to do. Offer to replace the paint, upgrade to a better version: Behr Premium Plus Ultra

I need to verify what I need to do (pics, UPC codes, receipts) & what paint I have & what projects I have done

My only problem is that I don't really have the time right now to redo the projects. And I hate to buy the new paint, wait 1-4 weeks to be re-imbursed for the purchase, then have the paint sit

Redoing is a lot harder as now I need to strip the old paint off
And convince the wife to put off other things she wants completed in order to re-paint
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 PM   #6
Haste Makes Waste

Paint Failing

So they want you to buy new paint then they'll reimburse you for the new or the original paint? I wouldn't waste my time...it sounds as if you'll end up making two purchases and be reimbursed for one. End result, you've still spent same amount of money and have to do the job twice. If you do it over, buy a good quality paint. You'll thank yourself in the long run.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:39 PM   #7

Paint Failing

Unless I am reading the E-mail wrong they are saying they will re-imburse me for the original purchase, AND for buying their new paint
If I can get re-imbursed for the old stuff 1st I may try the new paint - in the basement stairway 1st (non critical)
The problem is quite a bit of the paint was for my old house & my wife's old condo - both of which we no longer own. So I can't provide pics of those projects - which I think they require
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:50 PM   #8
100 Year Family Tradition

Rewards Points: 75

Paint Failing

every surface needs to be...

Dull
Clean
Dry

Before you apply any coatings. If I come to a house on the exterior I always

Scrape loose paint
Clean the home using very low pressure between 60 and 150 PSI and using the right detergents for the job as every surface to be cleaned needs to be evaluated.
Re-Caulk all joints using SW Sherlastic or BM Moorlastic
Choose the right primer according to the surface you are recoating.
Repeat the same step in choosing a finish coatings according to the areas you live as al areas have different climate and such and need to have the proper coatings to go with that environment.

Kinda basic stuff, but you would be surprised at some contractors.
4ThGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 01:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,052

Paint Failing

Once your walls are painted, I wouldn't worry about anything. The problem with Behr interior paint is more in the application. It will sag while painting and not over worth a damn. LOL, I am glad Behr is going to reimburse you for the paint, but I wouldn't use the stuff if it were free. Hell, I wouldn't use it if they paid me.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:52 AM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Paint Failing

Offer to replace the paint, upgrade to a better version: Behr Premium Plus Ultra

So they are trying to go from BAD to WORSE I just last week HAD to use there so called premium crap and as was posted

Hell, I wouldn't use it if they paid me.
Attached Images

chrisn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Haste Makes Waste

Paint Failing

I used the Behr Ultra Premimum in bathroom and was tough to move on for having to repaint what was already painted. It sags and runs and brush marks show easily....yuk!!
Old 06-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Paint Failing

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggdevil View Post
Slick, in another thread you mentioned you've had paint fail by using Kilz Latex primer. What exactly happens when paint fails. The reason I'm asking is I used Kilz2 Latex Primer in three rooms. I used Kilz paint in two of the rooms and Behr (crap) in the other room. Should I worry about paint failure? And what exactly happens when paint fails. Two of these rooms are kitchen and bath and I'll be washing those walls. Paint is about a month old now. Thanks for your help.
Usually...it falls off
Don't worry about it now...what's done is done
Remember, even a primer or paint with an unacceptably high failure rate like 25%, still "works" 75% of the time
My point being it's just not worth the risk (if you know that info ahead of time...failure due to manufacturer quality happens, but industry standard dictates a failure rate should be less than one percent)
At this point...just let it be and don't worry...if it does fail then we'll address it at that time

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote