Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 01:05 PM   #1

Share |

Paint Existing baseboard or buy new

My house is 22 years old and it has stained wood trim. I was looking to paint the trims and doors white. Should I just by new trims or paint existing white. I have carpet on the upper floor and new hard wood floor on the a main floor. I also have stained hardwood doors, I am looking to spray paint it white? Any recommendations?

pdamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Experienced

Why paint hardwoods doors? Seems like a waste of a nice door, that is if they are nice doors.

The tirm, if painted aready just repaint, if you want, paint over the stain, there is more to than just buying new trim, fitting trim work requires quality saws and a specialized ability to do it right.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:16 PM   #3

Pd,
you can easily paint the trim you have. The only reason to replace it is if you didn't like the look of it. If you do decide to paint the stained trim, scuff it up with a sanding sponge, vacuum, tack rag. Then use an adhesion primer followed by a couple of coats of your finish paint. Acrylic enamel or oil. If you have a local Sherwin Williams store, go there and tell them what you want to do and they should sell you the right products and then follow the instructions on the cans.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackofall1 View Post
Why paint hardwoods doors? Seems like a waste of a nice door, that is if they are nice doors.

The tirm, if painted aready just repaint, if you want, paint over the stain, there is more to than just buying new trim, fitting trim work requires quality saws and a specialized ability to do it right.

If I paint the trims, I have no option but to paint the doors as well. Are you suggesting painting the trims but not the doors? I have the same concern, It would be waste of a really nice doors, about 11 doors.

Both doors and trims are currently stained.
pdamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdamania View Post
If I paint the trims, I have no option but to paint the doors as well. Are you suggesting painting the trims but not the doors? I have the same concern, It would be waste of a really nice doors, about 11 doors.

Both doors and trims are currently stained.
Mixing paint and stain in a house can be a very sharp look. Also, you might be surprised what damage shows up in a painted door that you do not see while it is stained.
Windows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

If you like the trim then I see no reason not to paint it. I tore mine out, but I didn't like it and it was also 80 yrs old, not 22 so lead was a factor.

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote