Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

Paint estimate

I have a 4 bedroom 3.5 bath town house and trying to see the cost of interior painting from a contractor. Getting qoutes all over the place from 5000-9000.

Top floor with stairwell has 1 master bedroom and 2 bedrooms less then 12 x 12. Master would be about 20x15. High ceilings.

Middle level has living, small dining and kitchen. living is 30x20, kitchen is 20x15 and dining is a small 12x14.

basement has basement finished and one bedroom about 15x10.

The middle and basement have regular 8-9 feet ceilings.

Dont forget 3.5 baths and stairwell.

Some drywall prep is required. What is a round about cost for this job.

ankurshah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #2

Paint estimate

Start making some local calls to find out.
The people on this site could be from anyplace in the world, not know your local labor rates, have never seen your home. So anyone throwing out a figure will be wrong and your back to square one.
We give you a price then when someone local takes the time to come give you a quote and there price is differant then one you get here which price do you believe?
Sorry if this upsets you, just the way it works.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ltd (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
paper hanger and painter

Paint estimate

$18,693.59

U.S. dollars
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
$18,693.59

U.S. dollars
Absurd! The bid is $.59 too high!

From the discussion page.....

Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.
This is a message pertaining to your question from the cheerful moderators here at DIYChatroom.com.

Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, an addition, a decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local-rates, material preferences, inspection costs and permit fees, etc.

Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s). Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references.

The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc.

We encourage you to continue to post other Do It Yourself related questions on this site.

You may of course continue on and ask your question, however, please be aware that some members may treat your post(s) with disdain, and others may simply point you to this thread. You MIGHT even find someone willing to give you a 'ball park' figure, but as to whether you accept these figures as accurate, is entirely up to you.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
Painting Company, NY

Paint estimate

Nobody will be able to give you an answer, except for the contractors submitting you a proposal. There are to many variables, indirect and direct expenses involved in a proposal and no two painting companies are alike or have the exact same over head or desired profit. The contractor you choose should be based on the value that he will bring your property and I don't mean go with the lowest bid. Here is a link http://www.kelloggspainting.com/blog...-Estimate.aspx to some info on our website that will tell you some of the factors that go into a house painting proposal and if you search around there you will find some other useful information regarding selecting a painting contractor.

Last edited by housepaintingny; 02-25-2012 at 07:16 PM.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:16 PM   #6

Paint estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurshah View Post
What is a round about cost for this job.
Didn't you answer your own question in your first sentence? $5,000 to $9,000....... $7,000 sounds like a roundabout price!

Last edited by Gymschu; 02-26-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #7

Paint estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurshah View Post
I
What is a round about cost for this job.
I have to be honest! I get terribly irritated when people ask me over the phone to give them a quote on something. There is absolutely NO WAY anyone can give you an accurate price on a painting job without actually seeing exactly what is involved. You can give all the room sizes and every detail about the room but you can't tell over the phone how dirty the walls are, if there are any water stains, how much trim there is, what color the walls are now, if the wall is radius, square, etc.

Get the point?

Your best bet is to get contractors to come to your house and look at it. Then choose a contractor that you like that you feel will give you the quality work you are looking for at a fair price.
BraniksPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:26 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Paint estimate

Alright already, I will lower my bid. Just trying to make a little profit for all the work I had to do for this estimate.

$18,693
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 12:26 PM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Alright already, I will lower my bid. Just trying to make a little profit for all the work I had to do for this estimate.

$18,693
Sounds good. Please messenger or FedEx two copies of written estimate and sample copies of your contract ASAP.

By the way, I have thought of some changes and things I might want to ad. I figure since you are onsite it would not be a big deal to roll out an extra 2500sf? This will not effect your bid will it?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Paint estimate

[quote=sdsester;863808]Sounds good. Please messenger or FedEx two copies of written estimate and sample copies of your contract ASAP.

By the way, I have thought of some changes and things I might want to ad. I figure since you are onsite it would not be a big deal to roll out an extra 2500sf? This will not effect your bid will it?[/quote]

Well, since I am already there, I could probably knock off a hundred or so, I mean it's only 2500sf ,how's that?