Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint edgers

Can someone recommend a paint edger or other product to cut straight lines between ceiling and wall that works well.

Thanks

Bernarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
The Flying Toolbox

Rewards Points: 25

Paint edgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernarm
Can someone recommend a paint edger or other product to cut straight lines between ceiling and wall that works well.

Thanks
Do you have any texture on the ceiling? If so, you can't use any type of edger or painters tape to cut in the walls.

Regardless os the type of ceiling you have, I would just use a high quality brush (I recommend Purdy) to cut in. When I first started DIY painting I used edgers, then I went to taping everything off, but now it's just a waist of time IMHO. With a good guality brush and a steady hand, you'll whip through painting tasks. Still, I do tape some things off, but for the most part I do it by hand.

handypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint edgers

I've got a box full of gizmos
None work well
Really, the best way is by brush
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 04:10 PM   #4

Paint edgers

I'm still a big fan of taping. I just helped some friends paint their first home last weekend and we taped the ceilings and the baseboards and it ended up looking fantastic. Where it was difficult taping, we erred on the side of the wall so we could take a very small brush and touch up where we missed.
ChrisF79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 03:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Paint edgers

Buy a top quality brush like Purdy and half of your cut-in problems will be solved. A stiffer bristled, angled sash brush is the tool to get your lines under control for a weekend painter.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:38 PM   #6

Paint edgers

Load that good brush up with paint. Don't scrape off the excess on the side of the pale.

Go fast. If you go slow your lines will be all wobbly. You will be suprised how straight you can make a line by speeding it up.
SgtBaldy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SgtBaldy For This Useful Post:
Mr. Paint (02-16-2012)
Old 08-17-2006, 08:14 AM   #7
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Paint edgers

Also, if there are some areas that you are unsure of, you can use a 10" taping knife and lay it flat against the ceiling - not perfect but it helps in areas where you think you may slip or are hard to reach. Also, in the hand I hold my cut in paint pan, I also keep a wet rag. In case of a splatter or I accidentally touch the ceiling or something, you've got a minute or so to wipe it up.
J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #8
BPP

Paint edgers

I have just finished painting the majority of my house and I was thinking of cutting in the bedroom with just a brush. Any tips for a first timer? The rooms with taping came out pretty good except for a little amount of bleed through. I think I could speed up the job dramatically if I didnt tape though.

Also, call me weird but I started hating painting but now I love it. I wouldnt mind doing it as a part-time job on the weekends.
BPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Paint edgers

I would also recommend the angled brush, especially for the wall/ceiling corner. I've found that if I apply the paint to the wall an inch or two below the ceiling, then work the paint up into the joint slowly, you can get a good line between the wall and ceiling without any drip or globs in the corner. I've also found that, one really good first coat is good enough for the corner, with additional coats applied to within a centimeter or so of the ceiling. That way you don't have to be quite as careful with the second coat.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:06 AM   #10

Paint edgers

We have our own box of edging gizmos in the garage, none of which really worked. But we did run across the Accubrush Paint Edger online and tried it out and it actually did a very nice job. You can check them out at www.painthelpers.com. It is a slick little paint edger that has a brush and roller combined together. One of the versions can even go up on a pole so that you can paint along the top edge of the wall against the ceiling.

Probably better for you to see the video demos on the website than for me to try to explain it myself. Shipping was fast and the customer service was quite good.

Some time I'll post some pics of my painting project up here so y'all can see what I did. Big red accent wall against white trim, so I really did need good paint edging!

Paintergal
paintergal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paintergal For This Useful Post:
Sassygirl007 (04-15-2012)
Old 10-08-2007, 06:51 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 250

Paint edgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintergal View Post
We have our own box of edging gizmos in the garage, none of which really worked. But we did run across the Accubrush Paint Edger online and tried it out and it actually did a very nice job. You can check them out at www.painthelpers.com. It is a slick little paint edger that has a brush and roller combined together. One of the versions can even go up on a pole so that you can paint along the top edge of the wall against the ceiling.

Probably better for you to see the video demos on the website than for me to try to explain it myself. Shipping was fast and the customer service was quite good.

Some time I'll post some pics of my painting project up here so y'all can see what I did. Big red accent wall against white trim, so I really did need good paint edging!

Paintergal
I seen that on another forum. Still seems gimicky.

I reccomend a quality brush and a quality roller set up.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint edgers

Check the online tutorial for painting without using painter's tape @ http://www.diypaintingguide.org/pain...painters-tape/

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-16-2011 at 06:42 PM.
jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Khaki Pants

Paint edgers

I have never had success with paint edgers. Purchase a high quality name brand brush. A paint edger cant get into detail areas.
xraypaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #14
Khaki Pants

Paint edgers

Sometimes you just can see the corner you are painting. Use a pencil or a colored pencil to draw a line to visually guide your brush along. I wrote a small article about it here: http://khakipantpainting.blogspot.co...ag0398jpg.html
xraypaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint edgers

see the other thread that says the same question.