Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Paint Drying

I am in the process of painting a bathroom cabinets. I am spraying with HVLP unit. Here is TX today is about 105 and wondered if I should bring the parts inside to dry to leave them in the garage. I am using Latex paint and understand it takes forever to dry properly but was wondering if I left them in the garage oven???????

pinkfloyd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Paint Drying

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkfloyd43 View Post
I am in the process of painting a bathroom cabinets. I am spraying with HVLP unit. Here is TX today is about 105 and wondered if I should bring the parts inside to dry to leave them in the garage. I am using Latex paint and understand it takes forever to dry properly but was wondering if I left them in the garage oven???????
I think when working with latex products in temps like you've described - the heat may cause the paint to "dry to the touch" faster, but actually retard the curing process by disrupting the coalescence of components. Air movement and/or humidity reduction will better help this finish cure harder faster. Bring 'em inside if possible - and create slow moving, circulating air (not a fan directly pointed at 'em).

Depending on what type of "latex" product you're using, hard cure is still gonna take between 7 - 30 days, or so...

ric knows paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint Drying

It concerns me that it sounds like your cabinets are not surface drying in 20 minutes to an hour or so even in humid conditions. That is unusual for latex and acrylic products. You haven't mixed the paint with too much conditioner---Floetrol, etc. and caused its drying to be retarded? You stirred it and didn't rely just on the paint store shaker right?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint Drying

is it real paint from a paint store?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (09-07-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,172

Paint Drying

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric knows paint View Post
I think when working with latex products in temps like you've described - the heat may cause the paint to "dry to the touch" faster, but actually retard the curing process by disrupting the coalescence of components. Air movement and/or humidity reduction will better help this finish cure harder faster. Bring 'em inside if possible - and create slow moving, circulating air (not a fan directly pointed at 'em).

Depending on what type of "latex" product you're using, hard cure is still gonna take between 7 - 30 days, or so...

gotta love that
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #6

Paint Drying

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
is it real paint from a paint store?
Nope BEHR from HD (BEHR Premium Plus, Interior/Exterior HI-Gloss Enamel) I do a Sherman Williams that I have purchased
paint for and on the next project as maybe the BEHR is not
the best?
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint Drying

...maybe not..
user1007 (09-08-2012)
Old 09-08-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint Drying

Quote:
Nope BEHR from HD (BEHR Premium Plus, Interior/Exterior HI-Gloss Enamel) I do a Sherman Williams that I have purchased
paint for and on the next project as maybe the BEHR is not
the best?
Buy quality paint from a paint store or dealer and you will never have to ask such questions.

You are certainly aware of the reactions to BEHR on this site? If you really want some chuckles, search for the comments about it on the Consumer Reports site. CR may once have rated it tops but most of the readers and actual users certainly did not. Most comments fall into the "What were you thinking category?" Personally CR lost a lot of credibiliity with me not that I have ever given it that much. If CR ever adapted the same kind of testing quality paint manufacturers do I doubt BEHR would even make the list.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #9

Paint Drying

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Buy quality paint from a paint store or dealer and you will never have to ask such questions.

You are certainly aware of the reactions to BEHR on this site? If you really want some chuckles, search for the comments about it on the Consumer Reports site. CR may once have rated it tops but most of the readers and actual users certainly did not. Most comments fall into the "What were you thinking category?" Personally CR lost a lot of credibiliity with me not that I have ever given it that much. If CR ever adapted the same kind of testing quality paint manufacturers do I doubt BEHR would even make the list.
Thanks, after spending more time here I realize my mistakes. For the typicaly, non-knowing consumer you sorta believe what ever they
guys at the HD/Lowes tell you! I will be going to SW for the next project and appreciate all the input given so far.
Old 09-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
paper hanger and painter

Paint Drying

Quote:
Thanks, after spending more time here I realize my mistakes. For the typicaly, non-knowing consumer you sorta believe what ever they
guys at the HD/Lowes tell you! I will be going to SW for the next project and appreciate all the input given so far.

Don't believe a word of it
Old 09-08-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint Drying

In an unsual extension of kindness, I am sure the employees at the box stores are perplexed and stressed they do not know what they are doing or talking about. They must get cornered and nailed once in awhile and feel stung? They just be royally PO'd there employer do not offer them training or materials.

And in fairness. The local and real hardware stores I love in this City own the business and have been at it for a long time in some instances. A couple will be the last and their stores will fold but if you need anything meanwhile they have they will know the exact bin or shelf it is on. They will also offer real solutions to situations. And if you ask for a ferrule, screw wire nut, 1/2" pvc elbow or even a toilet plunger? They actually look you back in the eye and sell you just one. Not a bag of cheap Chinese crap. And if they are out? "Steven swing by on Wednesday, I will get them in. Or one of us can drop them off at your place on the way home!"

I know you all don't believe it but I managed to operate renovating nice homes without ever stepping foot in a box store. My stores knew me by name and could even sense a bad mood if I was blowing fire out my nostrils. Nobody will ever know your name in a box store!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
paper hanger and painter

Paint Drying

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
In an unsual extension of kindness, I am sure the employees at the box stores are perplexed and stressed they do not know what they are doing or talking about. They must get cornered and nailed once in awhile and feel stung? They just be royally PO'd there employer do not offer them training or materials.

And in fairness. The local and real hardware stores I love in this City own the business and have been at it for a long time in some instances. A couple will be the last and their stores will fold but if you need anything meanwhile they have they will know the exact bin or shelf it is on. They will also offer real solutions to situations. And if you ask for a ferrule, screw wire nut, 1/2" pvc elbow or even a toilet plunger? They actually look you back in the eye and sell you just one. Not a bag of cheap Chinese crap. And if they are out? "Steven swing by on Wednesday, I will get them in. Or one of us can drop them off at your place on the way home!"

I know you all don't believe it but I managed to operate renovating nice homes without ever stepping foot in a box store. My stores knew me by name and could even sense a bad mood if I was blowing fire out my nostrils. Nobody will ever know your name in a box store!

Those ere the good old days