Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Share |

Paint does not dry, and stays tacky?!

Hey guys. I am in need of some help. Basically here is the story.
I build a speaker cabinets from MDF. And used the "BnQ Colours undercoat and primer". It dries nice and feels ok. But after this i used the Plastikote matt spray, and it did not dry it stays tacky for a long time. So i decided to try another paint, thinking spray is not compatible, and bought Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood black paint. But i encountered same problem. It says on the tin "touch dry in 30 min" but even after few hours i can still leave marks on the surface if i press harder. Basically even after more that 12 hours i rested speaker cabinet on the shirt, and it left the marks on the surface. Could you please advice me on what to do? Is this the primer fault?
Thank you. Mike.

MikeMaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:55 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMaMan View Post
Hey guys. I am in need of some help. Basically here is the story.
I build a speaker cabinets from MDF. And used the "BnQ Colours undercoat and primer". It dries nice and feels ok. But after this i used the Plastikote matt spray, and it did not dry it stays tacky for a long time. So i decided to try another paint, thinking spray is not compatible, and bought Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood black paint. But i encountered same problem. It says on the tin "touch dry in 30 min" but even after few hours i can still leave marks on the surface if i press harder. Basically even after more that 12 hours i rested speaker cabinet on the shirt, and it left the marks on the surface. Could you please advice me on what to do? Is this the primer fault?
Thank you. Mike.
I would try a test on a scrap piece of MDF. Apply the same undercoat and primer. Then apply the Dulux quick dry satinwood black paint. (This omits the matt spray)

Also try only the primer and the Dulux on another scrap piece.

Also try only the matt spray directly on a bare scrap of MDF. And try the Dulux directly on another bare scrap of MDF.

IOW, testing various combinations to see what is causing the never dries hard problem.

HRG

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 03:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
I would try a test on a scrap piece of MDF. Apply the same undercoat and primer. Then apply the Dulux quick dry satinwood black paint. (This omits the matt spray)

Also try only the primer and the Dulux on another scrap piece.

Also try only the matt spray directly on a bare scrap of MDF. And try the Dulux directly on another bare scrap of MDF.

IOW, testing various combinations to see what is causing the never dries hard problem.

HRG
I have done that.
Spray on bare mdf feels slightly wet but not tacky.
Quick dry on bare mdf feels much better as well. But does not feel as dry as the primer. I was hoping what every other paint i use will be as dry as the primer. Especially then it says Touch Dry in 30 min on the tin.
Oh yes, and since Plastikote didn't i washed of from few sides of the speaker. so with Dulux i painted over spayed and just primed surface and the result is the same. Tacky.
So what are my options? I got 4 ready to be painted black speaker cabinets. And obviously paint doesn't go well together. I kind of like the result color of black satinwood i got. But how long will it stay tacky. Or can i paint some clear coat on top of it which will dry? Or will it dry?
Confused.

Last edited by MikeMaMan; 07-01-2014 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #4

Whatever happens, do NOT paint over a wet/tacky surface. Nothing good will come of it! Any chance to sand and re prime with plasticote primer? Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Whatever happens, do NOT paint over a wet/tacky surface. Nothing good will come of it! Any chance to sand and re prime with plasticote primer? Ron
All i did is fallowed the instructions on the tin. Primer was well dry. I decided not to use Plastikote spray. So i guess you suggesting to use primer made by same company as finish? It is Dulux in my case. Would using Dulux Primer as recommended on the tin help? If i prime already primed surface? I really don't want to buy more paint
Old 07-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #6

I agree with ront, you could done the same as he said.
billkitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
handpaintedbysteve.com

I used to work with an old European painter that seemed to have a cure for everything. We were talking one day about paint that wouldn’t dry and he said to wipe it down with vinegar. I don’t know what the vinegar does but it seems to help a little. Worth a try.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 05:55 PM   #8

We are using a latex satin paint on kitchen cabinets and it is not drying enough to even flip them and paint other side. It has been 58 hrs and still tacky to flip. Would the vinegar help with this or do you have another suggestion? Thanks
Constergp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constergp
We are using a latex satin paint on kitchen cabinets and it is not drying enough to even flip them and paint other side. It has been 58 hrs and still tacky to flip. Would the vinegar help with this or do you have another suggestion? Thanks
What brand and line of paint are you using?
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #10

Glidden satin latex paint
Old 07-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Glidden satin in latex paint. We sanded, cleaned with TSP and also wiped downed with acetone. Looks great and applied easily. Just can't flip without sticking. Need to paint flip side

Last edited by Constergp; 07-07-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
handpaintedbysteve.com

The vinegar probably won’t do much good. At the time I discussed with my associate we were using strictly oil base products. I don’t know what affect it would have with latex coatings.
spraygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:59 AM   #13
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constergp View Post
Glidden satin in latex paint. We sanded, cleaned with TSP and also wiped downed with acetone. Looks great and applied easily. Just can't flip without sticking. Need to paint flip side

right there is most likely the problem
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #14

Not to be pedantic, but for future reference..... Paint does 2 things. First it dries, then it cures. Unless your surface is really wet (that sounds impossible) and the humidity in your house is 99% (that sounds impossible), then it's not a drying problem. Your paint is drying. Since it is water based paint, the basic physics of the situation means that your paint is going to dry, no matter what.

What's probably helping is something is wrong somewhere and the paint is not curing properly. That is much more difficult to figure out, but I think you gave the clue.

I don't know specifically what acetone does to latex paint, but I have read that some painters use acetone to test if an existing paint job is latex or oil. If the paint does not soften, it's oil. If it does, it's latex. That should tell you something bad right there. So I agree with chrisn that that's most likely the issue.

It sounds to me like you have to scrape it all off and restart.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
paper hanger and painter

Well, at long last we agree about something

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote