Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint Crown Molding Before or After Installation?

Painting interior and installing new crown molding (walls are one color, ceiling and crown molding another). Is it better to paint the walls, cut molding to measure, paint new crown molding, install crown molding, touch up; or is it better to install the crown molding, paint ceiling and crown molding, tape, paint walls.

I imagine there will be caulking involved at some point that will need to be painted one of the two colors at the edge of the two-tone paint transition?

gmhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

Paint the walls and ceiling. Prime and paint the crown before you install it. I always paint before I cut and fit molding. Once you have it up it often only takes a little caulking to finish it up.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #3

Every "how too" article I've read strongly suggests using a coping saw for one of the pieces when fitting the corners. This seems like a time consuming pain, although I've never done it, so maybe it's faster and easier than I imagine it to be.

How important is using a coping saw to cut the matching profile of one end of a piece butted to the uncut end of another vs. just cutting each piece at a 45 degree angle with a chop saw?

Do most professionals use the coping method as the articles I've read suggest, or is that not as prevalent as the "how to" articles seem to imply?

Does using the coping method impact the "paint before cutting" method as far as marring the paint around the coped cut?

Is the priming on pre-primed molding from HD enough, or should I prime it myself anyway?
Old 05-06-2009, 06:46 PM   #4
Learning by Doing

Rewards Points: 2,000

I am just this week learning how to do this sort of stuff. Here's my $.02:

- Prime, but don't paint before installation - you're going to have to paint after you caulk anyway.

- Coping is WAY easier than you think. Get a coping saw and go for it. I found it much easier if I clamped the molding within 6 inches of the end being coped. My first few weren't picture perfect (I chose less visibly conspicuous corners for my novice attempts). By my third or fourth it was fairly quick and easy.

Give it a go!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The seasonal changes really show an open miter, but not so much a coped, because of the area of end grain when they shrink opposed to a thin line on coped.

Check out the homemade tool: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...echniques.aspx

And complex: http://books.google.com/books?id=7XU...crown+moulding Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 02:46 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Crown, casings, base, and doors are in progress right now on our remodel. Here is what is working out really well for me. Pre-primed MDF moldings, pre-paint with SW waterborne enamel, install, caulk, minimal touch-up needed. The pictures are before touch-up.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Crown Molding Before or After Installation?-dscn0912.jpg   Paint Crown Molding Before or After Installation?-dscn0909.jpg  

Last edited by vsheetz; 05-07-2009 at 02:49 AM.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:52 AM   #7
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,098

Looks good from here. Personally, I would prime first and do the finish coat(s) after nailing and caulking.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 11:24 AM   #8

It's always a good idea to paint your ceiling, walls and crown molding before you install it. This way you don't have to try to paint around the various components. After you paint everything separately and install it you are done.

TJ
TJLoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:47 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhut View Post
Every "how too" article I've read strongly suggests using a coping saw for one of the pieces when fitting the corners. This seems like a time consuming pain, although I've never done it, so maybe it's faster and easier than I imagine it to be.

How important is using a coping saw to cut the matching profile of one end of a piece butted to the uncut end of another vs. just cutting each piece at a 45 degree angle with a chop saw?

Do most professionals use the coping method as the articles I've read suggest, or is that not as prevalent as the "how to" articles seem to imply?

Does using the coping method impact the "paint before cutting" method as far as marring the paint around the coped cut?

Is the priming on pre-primed molding from HD enough, or should I prime it myself anyway?
Coping helps to disguise the joints better as they expand and contract with the changing seasons. If you perform a simple chop, the gap between the pieces will be twice as large, and probably too big to reliably bridge with caulk.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,008

I'm sure I'm "old school" but I learned under my Grandad and now I'm 60. I have friends who do trim carpentry who are my elders. One thing I have learned is to prime and paint crown and base before even starting the project.I believe it makes things go easier in the long run,just a little touch-up. As far as coping, it's the only way to go for me. Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,028

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLoop View Post
It's always a good idea to paint your ceiling, walls and crown molding before you install it. This way you don't have to try to paint around the various components. After you paint everything separately and install it you are done.

TJ
I have never painted a ceiling or wall before I put it in

Generally if you have nice true walls and ceiling then you can paint the trim before putting it up. If you forsee a lot of caulking, prime it first, then paint it after it is up.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #12

For some reason I just assumed you caulked the edges automatically. Is it the case that you only caulk if the walls are wavy enough to need cosmetic surgery at the with a calk gun?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 252

I have never been lucky enough to have 4 walls in a room not need to be caulked with painted trim. Even casing which tends to pull tight to the wall can use a little caulk to fill in gaps most of the time. I have installed stained trim that looked pretty good but I ended up taping the trim and filling in with caulk and it looked even better...

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:25 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,028

The thing about caulking is that if you caulk after it has been painted, dirt will penetrate the caulk a lot more than the painted trim so it will discolor. Same goes for smoke if you are a smoker. If you have painted over the caulk it won't do that.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #15

1. Pre-prime and paint your trim (not required, but saves time in the long run)
2. Absolutely cope your joints. Don't even consider not doing it.
3. Spackle and sand nail holes. Prime the spackle if your paint calls for it. Caulk all seams.
4. Paint ceiling
5. Paint an entire coat on your crown (don't skimp by just trying to touch up caulk and spackle)
6. Paint your walls

cej22 is offline   Reply With Quote