Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2011, 09:37 AM   #1

Share |

Paint coming off when washed

My mom painted her living room eggshell white she did 3 coats no primer she said.She cleaned the walls 2 days later with soap and water and the paint came off well not 100% off but you can see where she cleaned and some of the towel has white on it.Can someone tell me why this happened.So i do not make the same mistake when i start painting this weekend..Thanks

canadacatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
Coatings Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadacatman View Post
My mom painted her living room eggshell white she did 3 coats no primer she said.She cleaned the walls 2 days later with soap and water and the paint came off well not 100% off but you can see where she cleaned and some of the towel has white on it.Can someone tell me why this happened.So i do not make the same mistake when i start painting this weekend..Thanks
Which brand?

Most paints have a 30 day recommended cure time. Even though its dry, its not cured. If you have a spot on a freshly painted wall....leave it for a while...hard to do but you need to let the paint cure.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
NCpaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:42 AM   #3

It was bought at walmart $26 per gallon
Color Place.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Regardless of the paint brand (and her choice wasn't the very best paint), she scrubbed it before she should have. The paint wasn't cured.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM   #5

Ok thanks.Now I am also going to do some painting this weekend what brand do you suggest.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

Wow ok and what would you tell me.I think a bit expensive as i would need about 5 gallons to do my hall downstairs and up with about 2-3 coats.

HMMMMM!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
Wow ok and what would you tell me.I think a bit expensive as i would need about 5 gallons to do my hall downstairs and up with about 2-3 coats.

HMMMMM!!!!!!!!!
The main reason I tend to go with Behr Paint is because there's a Home Depot nearby, and the smaller paint stores are much farther away. Also, I apparently live near the only HD that has a decent paint department, and people who can mix the paint properly. I'm by no means married to Behr Paint, but I've never had any problems with it.

I've used Valspar quite often, and like it. I've used Glidden. Its higher-end lines are fine.

Sherwin Williams Paint is very very good. But my experience with our local store was that they are arrogant butt-holes. And frankly, a 5% discount on $55 per gallon paint isn't good enough. Hopefully your experience will be better.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:31 AM   #8

I was thinking behr or glidden as we have a hd by us also.But we have so paint only type pf store.

Is $24 a gallon too cheap for glidden or should i pay more.Thanks

Also keep in mine i need to wash them alot as have pets and small children for this i was told eggshell or flat.

Thanks I appreciate this help from you..
Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
A Little Of Everything

Quote:
I was thinking behr or glidden as we have a hd by us also.But we have so paint only type pf store.

Is $24 a gallon too cheap for glidden or should i pay more.Thanks

Also keep in mine i need to wash them alot as have pets and small children for this i was told eggshell or flat.

Thanks I appreciate this help from you..
I really wish some of the other guys would chime in here. My opinion is based only on homes my wife & I have bought & renovated, as well as rental properties.

Many people think flat is elegant - and it is. But with small children and pets, I'd definitely head you toward "satin" finish. Semi-gloss would be fine too, though I personally don't like that look. The rule of thumb is, the higher the sheen the better the washability.

I really can't say whether the $24 per gallon Glidden is fine, or not. I'm sure it's good enough, especially considering that - with both kids & pets - you're going to be repainting in a couple years anyway.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Learning by Doing

- Make sure you use a primer.

- Follow the directions on your product.

- Don't buy cheap paint. If you choose Walmart paint, buy their highest grade. Paint quality depends (in part) on density of solids and cheaper paint has fewer solids - thus it doesn't cover as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks View Post
Truth is, it depends largely on what you're doing and what you want. Also, higher-priced paint cannot make up for poor surface preparation or bad application.
Dr. Hicks is right on the money. Most paint jobs for me are 50-75% preparation 50-25% painting.

- Move furniture, protect floors, remove switch plates, rec covers and other hardware, protect outlets from being painted over.

- all foreign material should be scraped off walls (think tape, stickers, etc).

- Walls should be thoroughly washed with a non-sudsing detergent.

- large cracks, holes should be patched.

- prime. Then spackle any remaining defects. Prime over those spots.

- Paint.

For some manufacturers 'contractor grade' paints are the same as the premium or high grade, just at better prices for contractors. Sometimes 'contractor grade' materials are simply the most cost effective - they are not necessarily the best.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #11

Thanks for all your input.I will use semi glosse and since i will be painting every 2 years or so for a bit i will use a little cheaper brand.Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
Learning by Doing

Just asking, but why the frequent repainting?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:55 PM   #13

I meant to put in 2 years.I can not find a paint that all hand or food will come off of if anyone knows one please tell me.I need to wash it all the time well some of it as toddlers in the house and pets

Thanks
Old 04-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #14

Sherwin Williams Duration Satin finish. Will look better go on easier and you won't have to paint again for many years. If it is a repaint you should not need to prime. A quick sand of walls with 150 sandpaper is faster and cheaper than primer if walls are glossy.
painter162 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to painter162 For This Useful Post:
DrHicks (04-13-2011)
Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #15

Why semi-gloss? That's a lot of light bouncing around the room. You could cover the cleaning requirements with a satin finish. Just wait a month before you wipe it.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote