DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint coming off with delicate painter's tape, same prep as before...

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  chrisn 
#1 ·
...different result.

I just painted the dining room and wiped everything down with a no-rinse TSP (probably a sub). After painting the baseboards with Behr satin, I taped them, painted the walls and removed tape with no issue.

Note this - Since I switched to SW paint, I can't stand working with Behr!! I only used the Behr paint for the trim because I had some leftover from the adjacent hallway painted a couple years ago. I don't like to waste.

Move upstairs to the bathroom and wipe everything down thoroughly with the same no-rinse TSP. This time I get to crack open my can of SW Pro Classic satin for the trim. Wait the 24 hrs and begin to apply the delicate painter's tape to the baseboard. When adjusting my taping job, I notice that the paint has started to come off with the tape.

I'm baffled. I am sure the no-rinse TSP will get blamed for this, but I wiped the dining room down with the same stuff and had no adhesion issues.

I dare say, could the SW Pro Classic have worse adhesion for some reason? Or could it be that the previous coat of trim paint was oil-based and the new paint isn't sticking to it?

See less See more
#3 ·
No...it was definitely not high gloss. Seemed to be of same sheen - satin. I'm no longer so worried about not using tape, but more worried about it's adhesion in general. It's a kid's bathroom, so abuse to the trim and door are a given.

Could it be a time issue? As in the SW Pro Classic needs more time to bond to its surface? If not, am I basically down to leaving it as is or stripping all that new paint off and putting a coat of primer down first?

Ticked. This was supposed to be a relatively quick and easy project.

#4 ·
Update: It appeared to me that all of the trim surfaces were previously painted the same. I just tested the tape in several areas. Paint does not come off the door or the trim around the mirror. It comes off the baseboards, door trim, window trim. So there definitely is no issue with the SW paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.