Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2014, 03:00 PM   #1

Share |

paint/combo

I wanted to know whats the pros take on this new combo paint /primer mix?
I still prefer to use them seperately but see that is becoming limited in big box stores as many want u to go for the 2 in 1 ,and raise the $ too.Im sure the Porter and SW always have more and are better but was interested as to if its worth using the combo.
Also is oil based primer best on latex or is it best to stay with same.I will be painting w latex as final coat on primed wall.
Thanks

hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
paper hanger and painter

paint/combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidden1 View Post
I wanted to know whats the pros take on this new combo paint /primer mix?
I still prefer to use them seperately but see that is becoming limited in big box stores as many want u to go for the 2 in 1 ,and raise the $ too.Im sure the Porter and SW always have more and are better but was interested as to if its worth using the combo.
Also is oil based primer best on latex or is it best to stay with same.I will be painting w latex as final coat on primed wall.
Thanks

http://buildipedia.com/at-home/desig...aint-vs-primer

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
housepaintingny (02-04-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

paint/combo

I have expiremented some with interior paint&primer products. Mostly I have liked them.

On new wallboard, I think it is more important that the dust be completely cleaned off when using P$P. Any little bit of dust can cause adhesion problems. Of course it needs to be thoroughly dusted even if you prime, but I think primer is more forgiving if you miss a spot or two.

Also the P&P's I have used on new walls take longer to develop a full bond. On one job it took two weeks of cure time before the paint film would pass a tape/adhesion test on the joint compound. Where a PVA primer would pass in a couple days.

One advantage I'm seeing with P&P is superior sheen consistency and hold out. In one test a Valspar P&P out preformed SW cashmere in hiding patches on enamel walls. The P&P covered (non flashing) spackle spots perfectly, while the Cashmere (not a P&P) showed slight dull spots.

Essentially P&P products seem to provide superior coverage and sheen consistency on less than perfect surfaces.

I think in general they are good products as long there limitations are understood. They are not magic. Water stains, smoke, tannin, glossy surfaces, etc are still going to need primer for optimum results. But for basic re paints, and new construction, I feel that the P&P products are an improvement. SW Emerald is my favorite P&P.

Last edited by Jmayspaint; 02-03-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-03-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 05:32 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

paint/combo

If an area has been previously painted and does not need a primer then the P&P is good. Primer serves a couple of purpose and there are different primers for different purpose, including promoting adhesion, stain blocking, providing uniform finish and sealing surfaces.
Paint serves the purpose of ascetics and provides a degree of protection to a surface. There will be times when a real primer is still needed, as P&P is not a problem solver like primer is. Most P&P cans labels that I have read do say that a primer may be needed and suggest a real primer in some situations.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-04-2014), Live_Oak (02-06-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter

paint/combo

There is NO primer in ANY can that says paint and primer in one, NONE,ZILCH, NADA, ZERO
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #6

paint/combo

In a recent thread "ceiling paint" Ric explained that primers typically have softer resins than paints in order to penetrate the substrate better and provide better adhesion.

If the difference between paint and primer is resin type (in part) it doesn't seem so far fetched that manufactures could simply add resins suitable for primer to there paints and call it paint&primer.

Or perhaps materials science has created a 'super resin' that actually does the job of both types of product to an extent..

The frustrating thing to me is that this is all speculation. Specific resin types used in paints and primers are kept as trade secrets. And the manufactures don't seem to want to explain how or why these new products are supposed to work.

One thing is for sure, the materials of the painting trade have, and are, changing rapidly.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #7

paint/combo

For me, I trust the "tried and true" method of primer followed by paint. Until proven otherwise to its' merits, I am sticking to what works, and, for me, it has worked for 34 years.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (02-04-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 02:38 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

paint/combo

If you get by the hippie chick with no shoes and all the inserted ads, here is a good read

http://www.diypaintingguide.org/wp-c...9/Primers1.pdf
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #9

paint/combo

Thanks for the info,is there a advantage to using the oil based primer on latex vs latex based primer?
I will be putting latex on as a final coat.
hidden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:49 PM   #10

paint/combo

Quote:
Thanks for the info,is there a advantage to using the oil based primer on latex vs latex based primer?
Yes there is an advantage to using latex primer;
smell
ease of clean-up
ease of getting rid of clean-up materials
latex just as good without the mess.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:08 PM   #11
Painting Contractor

paint/combo

Quote:
The only time you would need to prime with oil would be to cover up nicotine stains, massive water stains, or smoke damage.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
paper hanger and painter

paint/combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAProPainter View Post
The only time you would need to prime with oil would be to cover up nicotine stains, massive water stains, or smoke damage.

maybe not the ONLY ,time but close enough
Old 02-05-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Painting Contractor

paint/combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
maybe not the ONLY ,time but close enough
I'm thinking, what did I forget? Ink, marker, or blood. Usually these areas will be small and can be spot primed as opposed to priming the whole wall with oil.
VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:06 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

paint/combo

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAProPainter View Post
I'm thinking, what did I forget? Ink, marker, or blood. Usually these areas will be small and can be spot primed as opposed to priming the whole wall with oil.

I was thinking more raw wood and or exterior wood surfaces
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-06-2014), VAProPainter (02-06-2014)
Old 02-06-2014, 10:57 AM   #15

paint/combo

I have tried some of the P&P most I must say didn't impress me even when covering similar colors and on new drywall I would almost always prime.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote