Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2004, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Paint Color All Wrong!

Help! We bought flat interior latex to paint our new home's walls with that was supposed to be the sort of brownish taupe sand color that is so popular today, but when I got the first coat on, it's Pink! What do I need to add to darken this to something closer to what I'm looking for? We bought 15 gallons of it in 5 gallon buckets and had it mixed, so we can't return it. I really need a solution and fast! Can anyone suggest tinctures to change it?

mimijacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:16 PM   #2

Paint Color All Wrong!

Did they mix it wrong or did you choose the wrong color?

Bring a paint chip (of the color you want) to the paint store where you bought it and ask if they can retint the paint to the new darker color. Most paint stores will help you out. It wont be perfect but they should be able to get you close.

Where did you buy the paint?

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:21 PM   #3

Paint Color All Wrong!

We had it mixed as the color chip called for, but it really doesn't look like the chip at all! We got the paint and had it mixed at the same home improvement warehouse (can I say store names here?). I know we will have to pay to have it retinted - that's no problem. I'm just disgusted.
mimijacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #4

Paint Color All Wrong!

Have them take a drop of paint and put it on the paint chip. Then use a hair dryer (they will have one at the counter) and dry it. Make sure the paint matches BEFORE you leave the store. If they messed up tinting the paint I would push for them to retint for free.

15 Gallons is a lot of paint! Are you painting you whole house that color?

BTW, you can mention store names but it doesn't really matter. I was just wondering if it was a quality shop like Sherwin Willimas or Benjamin Moore. I know they would take care of you.

Let me know if you have any more questions and I'll try and help.

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2004, 06:45 PM   #5
Paperhanger/painter

Paint Color All Wrong!

Ben Moore and SW will retint for free if the color desired is possible.
Quote:
home improvement warehouse
That is the root of the problem. Whoever tinted the paint was not a painter.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:20 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Paint Color All Wrong!

I used to work at a hard ware store (High school job) and I never tinted paint. I was too inexperienced. Later when I went back to buy my own pait they were letting their high school kid tint the paint and he always messed up. I felt bad getting him into trouble so many times that I ended up eating the cost of the last gallon and going to home depot.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 02:45 PM   #7

Paint Color All Wrong!

I buy paint from Lowes because it was rated high on consumer reports and its cheaper than those pro stores
RogerB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 04:41 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Paint Color All Wrong!

But what brand? Lowes sells multiple brands, no?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #9

Paint Color All Wrong!

Actually the highest rated Interior paint by Consumer Reports is at the Home Depot: Behr.
I agree, you should have approved the dried color before you left the store.
Stelablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:24 AM   #10
Paperhanger/painter

Paint Color All Wrong!

"Actually the highest rated Interior paint by Consumer Reports is at the Home Depot: Behr"

Here is why Consumer Reports don't mean much to the pros

Thoughts on CU ratings
Old 03-09-2004, 07:31 PM   #11
Contractor

Paint Color All Wrong!

It is impossible to take some small paint chip from a store and think that it will work in your house. What you see is just a reflection of what is there, similar to a mirror.
Unless you are into really dramatic changes such as Endevour Blue most people choose the wrong shade because of the little paint sample at the store. They don't think about how the light hits the primary wall and how the color changes as the reflection hits the secondary wall.
Mimi, Red/pink is one of the most challenging colours to overcome, the addition of black pigment will turn it to brown which is where I believe you want to be.
Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2004, 07:55 PM   #12
Paperhanger/painter

Paint Color All Wrong!

I always suggest to customers that want to make a color change to get a quart of the new color and test drive it for awhile. Brush some on the wall by the floor, ceiling, trim, window, different walls, etc. to see it in different light, at different times of day. Live with it for awhile, get the feel for it.
Old 06-14-2004, 07:46 AM   #13

Paint Color All Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy
Ben Moore and SW will retint for free if the color desired is possible.

That is the root of the problem. Whoever tinted the paint was not a painter.
Prowallguy, I disagree with you.

One doesn't need to be a painter to mix colors. matter of fact, we have a girl here who can match some really tough colors and her consistency is remarkable.

Very few painters carry their cal-tints around these days

Thanks,
Harry Carter
Old 06-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #14

Paint Color All Wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimijacobs
We had it mixed as the color chip called for, but it really doesn't look like the chip at all! We got the paint and had it mixed at the same home improvement warehouse (can I say store names here?). I know we will have to pay to have it retinted - that's no problem. I'm just disgusted.
Home Depot and Lowes will always fix a problem with paint. If the paint doesn't match the chip, they will replace it for free. I've done it. Additionally, I bought an extra gallon of paint once (mixed/colored) and HD allowed me to return it for the full amount. I kind of feel bad about returning it though...

meiersenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote