Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:35 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paint chipping on trim and doors.

My wife and I moved into our first house in the spring and before moving in we had the entire interior repainted by a professional. They did a great job but there are some issues and I was wondering how to fix these.

1) All the trim, windows, doors was a stained wood and we had them repaint them white. They used some sort of sealer instead of sanding the entire house, which would've taken months to do. Well, now we are seeing areas where the paint is chipping on the molding, windows and doors. What would be the best way for me to patch these up without repainting?

2) Now that the doors have paint on them and not just stain they aren't opening and closing as well as they should. In the summer they would really stick and this pulled some of the paint off of them. None of them are so bad that they need to cut down. Someone told me to try taking a 2x4 and knocking the trim that stops the door a little so the door can fit better. Others have told me to just use my orbital sander on the side of the door that is chipping and then repaint. What are your ideas to fix this problem RIGHT.

Also, calling the painter back to help with these repairs is not an option.

RR33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:44 AM   #2
Oldguy

Polyurethane is often used to finish wood doors and moldings. Sanding was/is needed to allow the new finish to adhere to the old. Sounds like a cheap job to me. The long term solution may be to remove all the paint, and start over.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehabber View Post
Polyurethane is often used to finish wood doors and moldings. Sanding was/is needed to allow the new finish to adhere to the old. Sounds like a cheap job to me. The long term solution may be to remove all the paint, and start over.
I'm not sure what kind of stuff they used to seal in the stain and give the paint something to stick to but it is working except for a few places that I need to patch. The doors are only chipping because it hit the frame all summer when the weather was hot and humid. Now that it is cold they open and close fine and without chipping.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
Oldguy

Then I would remove the doors and plane the edges (or use a ROS) to gain a little more clearance, prime and repaint edges. Sand any damage smooth on frames/trim, prime and repaint.

ASE certified master auto tech, Retired.
Rehabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:28 AM   #5
Pro Painter

I agreed with Rehabber. Sound like a cheap job.

Just sand down any chipping, prime and paint. A year from now you might not even think about it.
TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:44 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. As I said before, we are very happy with the paint job. We have 23 windows, 16 doors and trim/molding everywhere that was painted. About 5 doors are chipped along the inside edge, about 3 windows and several chips in the trim around the house. All are pretty minor and happened shortly after the painting was completed. I just want to fix it.

I'm going to sand, prime and paint the areas.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:59 PM   #7
Tired, Cold, and Damp

Sand, prime and paint
I'd suggest a solvent-based primer (alkyd will do), and an enamel for the top coats (waterborne or alkyd)
This will keep it from chipping and sticking
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:59 PM   #8

It sounds like they did not prime properly, using the solvent-based primer they should have.

If they wanted to avoid sanding, they should have applied a liquid de-glosser, followed quickly by solvent-based primer (a smelly Pain To Apply), followed by an enamel.

It sounds like they did not prime, and used paint instead of enamel. I don't see any easy fix. Since it is only parts exposed to wear that are coming off easily, I am thinking you can just repair the areas that are giving you trouble (the parts that are chipping and sticking)

For the chipping bits: Sand off the paint, solvent prime, topcoat with a quality enamel.

For the sticking bits: It might be worth a try to just scuff-sand (as opposed to remove), oil (or solvent) prime, and then topcoat.

SirWired
sirwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
Pro Painter

Banging on the jambs may lead to cracks in the headers, seperation of the trim at the corners and even cracks in the walls.

Best to just remove wood where the doors are sticking.
joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
It sounds like they did not prime properly, using the solvent-based primer they should have.

If they wanted to avoid sanding, they should have applied a liquid de-glosser, followed quickly by solvent-based primer (a smelly Pain To Apply), followed by an enamel.

It sounds like they did not prime, and used paint instead of enamel. I don't see any easy fix. Since it is only parts exposed to wear that are coming off easily, I am thinking you can just repair the areas that are giving you trouble (the parts that are chipping and sticking)

For the chipping bits: Sand off the paint, solvent prime, topcoat with a quality enamel.

For the sticking bits: It might be worth a try to just scuff-sand (as opposed to remove), oil (or solvent) prime, and then topcoat.

SirWired
The process in bold is what was used. I remember how bad it smelled. Maybe it just didn't take in those areas or wasn't spread well. I don't know but I sanded down one of the doors earlier today and I can see that there is more space there. Crappy part is I won't know until it gets hot again.

joewho, thank you for the advice. I wasn't planning on doing that but it's good to know.