Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paint for chair rail and beadboard

My new bathroom renovation will be complete within the next couple of days. Basically, I'm looking for good paint for the chair rail and beadboard that is user friendly. I've done the ProClassic on trim with great results but it can be difficult. I'm a big fan of Superpaint and was wondering if this would be good for this application. Need some expert advice here. The bathroom has an exhaust fan along with a window so excessive moisture shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking in terms of durability and being able to get out scuff marks from kids. Thanks for any advice on this.

mjarema414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I would stick with a quality semi-gloss from a major paint company for this. Benjamin Moore products are my first choice but if you have used Sherwin Williams before no reason to change. I liked adding Floetrol to semi. Not sure why you experienced past difficulty applying the products you mentioned?

Of course you will want to use primer/underlay on the new chair rail and beadboard first.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
ltd

yea super paint would fine. they have reformulated pro classic waterborne acrylic to make it more user friendly ,but double check with a s/w manger to confirm that this is the case
ltd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I would stick with a quality semi-gloss from a major paint company for this. Benjamin Moore products are my first choice but if you have used Sherwin Williams before no reason to change. I liked adding Floetrol to semi. Not sure why you experienced past difficulty applying the products you mentioned?

Of course you will want to use primer/underlay on the new chair rail and beadboard first.
I just thought the ProClassic was thick and didn't cover well. After 2 coats it looks great but seemed a bit difficult to work with. I really like the SuperPaint for the walls and was curious how a semi would hold up on trim. I've read mixed reviews on adding Floetrol to the ProClassic. Most painters said not to mess with it and to use the paint as it's formulated.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
I just thought the ProClassic was thick and didn't cover well. After 2 coats it looks great but seemed a bit difficult to work with. I really like the SuperPaint for the walls and was curious how a semi would hold up on trim. I've read mixed reviews on adding Floetrol to the ProClassic. Most painters said not to mess with it and to use the paint as it's formulated.
Like I say, I like adding Floetrol because it seems to enhance workability and reduce brush marks. It may be force of habit though. With a good brush and decent paint and its surfacing agents there is no absolute need for it.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Like I say, I like adding Floetrol because it seems to enhance workability and reduce brush marks. It may be force of habit though. With a good brush and decent paint and its surfacing agents there is no absolute need for it.
Sounds good. Thanks. I've been reading that people use Zinseer Perma-white in bathrooms due to the mold resistant factor. I think mostly for walls. Does anyone know if the Perm-White is suited for wood trim?
Old 03-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

If mold is an issue you can add a biocide. Ben Moore used to make a kitchen and bath paint with one formulated in it in different tint bases. Might want to beef up your bath exhaust fan too?
Old 03-26-2012, 12:27 PM   #8

Thanks to our friends at Consumer Reports that ding paints that do not have mildewcide, most paints now have mildewcide in them including all of BM premium lines (from ben up), and all Behr and Valspar lines. A quick look at the technical date sheet (TDS or PDS) supplied by most companies on their website will confirm this.
Paintguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:08 PM   #9
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintguy View Post
Thanks to our friends at Consumer Reports that ding paints that do not have mildewcide, most paints now have mildewcide in them including all of BM premium lines (from ben up), and all Behr and Valspar lines. A quick look at the technical date sheet (TDS or PDS) supplied by most companies on their website will confirm this.

I hope you are being very sarcastic
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #10

Does anyone use perma-white semi on trim? Just wondering how it looks compared to SW ProClassic. It's definitely cheaper but the proclassic looks smooth. I'd go with the perma-white if it compared to the looks of ProClassic. Moisture is not an issue. We installed a kick a$$ fan during the remodel.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
jschaben

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjarema414 View Post
My new bathroom renovation will be complete within the next couple of days. Basically, I'm looking for good paint for the chair rail and beadboard that is user friendly. I've done the ProClassic on trim with great results but it can be difficult. I'm a big fan of Superpaint and was wondering if this would be good for this application. Need some expert advice here. The bathroom has an exhaust fan along with a window so excessive moisture shouldn't be an issue. I'm thinking in terms of durability and being able to get out scuff marks from kids. Thanks for any advice on this.
I used ProClassic in my kitchen and also found it ... err.. less than tolerant. I have used SW All Surface Enamel and found it much easier to use. Benjamin Moore Kitchen and bath enamel also worked well.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

I need to get the paint tonight for my trim/beadboard bathroom project. Rethinking things and may go with the Zin perma-white semi-gloss. It's cheaper than the ProClassic/BM Advance and according to the can, it can be used on trim. My only worry is the finished product. I want it to be smooth. Any thoughts?