DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Paint Bubbles

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Moxified 
#1 ·
I recently purchased a new home (2003 vintage) and set about making some changes to a basement room. The room had a light blue paint on it but looked like it had a darker blue paint under it and maybe more... The previous paint job wasn't the greatest with runs and such.

I sanded and patched dings and dents. I removed the sheen with a piece of 220 and wiped the walls down with a damp rag. I applied a tinted valspar primer and let it dry over night. The next day I added a layer of valspar premium paint in a darker red. Unfortunately the air was a little dusty from other projects going on and I ended up with some "junk" in the paint. I let it dry for a day and lightly sanded it with 220, wiped it down with the wet rag and added another layer.

At this point I started noticing little bubbles forming on the paint. I finished anyways and let it dry for a day. I then sanded the bubbles off and let dry for 4 days. Last night I wiped an area where bubbles were with a dry cloth and spot rolled and the bubbles came right back.

I'm thinking that my wiping down with a wet rag compromised the first coat of topcoat. At this point I'm not sure what to do with it. I have resolved that I need to "start over" but am hoping I don't have to try to scrape the paint off as that probably won't end well given the old layers under.

I have also considered covering everything with BIN primer but am concerned that it will A) lock the new latex in a permanent state of tacky and B) not adhere well given the paint it is adhering to is not the greatest.

See less See more
#4 ·
It is hard to capture with pictures. They are fairly small, 1 - 2mm bubbles.

I went to Ben Moore last night and they suggested using one of their high quality paints(of course). I purchased a quart and spot painted per their suggestion over a spot that had bubbled and the bubbles returned right through their paint.

After that paint dried to the touch I noticed that it actually would peal off and took the new Ben Moore coat plus the 2 valspar top coats BUT the valspar primer was left behind.

Seems like for whatever reason the stuff just didn't adhere to the primer? The primer doesn't like to come off and once you moved beyond where I had painted last night the valspar didn't tend to release easily.

I'm thinking tonight I should spot prime with BIN over some bubbled areas to see if it will seal it all in.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.