Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Paint Brush Type Recommendation

Painting bathroom walls with Benjamin Moore paint, and the ceiling, vanity and metal baseboard with Zinsser (yes they do make a paint).

Both Home Depot and Lowes have different paint brushes and rollers with cost points listed as Good, Better and Best.

Typically I've just bought the least expensive brushes and rollers I can find; they always seem to work ok. For example, at Harbor Freight I can find brushes for 1/4 the cost of the big box stores.

So, any suggestions on brush and roller types? Am I just paying for marketing by going for the Better or Best level of brushes at the big box stores? Is a Harbor Freight brush and roller just fine to use?

thanks

jdbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,150

I get my brushes at Lowe's. I prefer Wooster brushes and rollers. Usually a Wooster 2 1/2 inch brush is about $15. You can get contractor grade 1/2 inch nap roller covers for about $3.50. Lowe's also carries Purdy brushes which are nice too. I just find them to be more "floppy" than Wooster brushes which have a firmness to the filaments that I prefer. On occasion, you can find Wooster "seconds" on sale in the bargain bin at Sherwin-Williams.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,320

Use cheap brushs and rollers and it will take longer to do the job because they just do not hold paint, your going to see more brush marks, the rollers will leave lint all over the walls.
A quality brush and roller cover will also last far longer.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Learning Things Every Day

Rewards Points: 500

I tend to stay away from Shur-Line stuff but I'm pretty happy with my 1-2" brushes in my collection. I bought them a few years ago and they perform well. I think Wooster and Purdy make better brushes, and that's what I would recommend, so it's a matter of how much you want to spend.

I recently used Purdy White Dove roller covers for the first time, and absolutely love them.

Last edited by Jay 78; 04-06-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Jay 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

I recently repainted the entire first floor of our house and I can tell you in no uncertain terms that you get better results with better brushes. They hold paint better, lay down paint better, smooth paint better, and cut a straighter line. They are easier to clean and last longer. For a few bucks more they are a no brainer. The "best" quality at Home Depot are not bad. A brand like Wooster or Purdy is even better, and worth going to a paint store to get.

At the very least get the best quality brush you can find, 2.5" angled sash, for your cutting in. I really like Purdy after trying a few different kinds.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ironlight For This Useful Post:
Jay 78 (04-06-2012), ltd (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

All,

Thanks for the feedback!

Is it worth getting a paint brush comb to clean a good brush??

thanks
jdbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Rubbin walls since'79

Rewards Points: 2,000

I use Wooster Alphas, the Silver tip is a fine lower priced quality brush.
One thing to realize- if your in paint alot- you get to know what kind of brush is best for what kind of material and job. Sometimes you want a stiffer brush, sometimes one that cuts like a rapier, sometimes a beast of burden.
I have choices for all of that.
Skip the brush comb- get a course scrubbie pad for the out side *( works on hands too) and a stiff nail brush . And work the bottom of the bristles until you don't see any paint come out, spin the handle in your hands, reshape the bristles and figure out a way to hang dry.
If you do this right a quality brush will last a very long time.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I usually used Purdy but had Wooster brushes too. 2.5 inch angled sash brushes were most useful to me with other sizes for special purposes. I usually bought brushes at paint stores but if I had the time and didn't need them right away I found great deals online at eBay.

My suspicion is DIYer buy cheap brushes thinking they won't have to take care of them. As mentioned you will notice the difference working with nice brushes and cared for they will last you a long time.

I usually bought contractor grade roller covers at my paint stores. I wrapped them up in plastic until finished with them and then most often tossed them rather than waste fresh water to clean a $3 item. Of course I washed lambswool ones out carefully.

I really liked working with Rubbermaid roller cover handles. You have to bend the fins back and forth a few times or you can barely get the covers off them. But when in use, the roller covers don't slip around like they can on the wire spring ones. The Rubbermaid ones have a nice feeling handle too and balance to them too. I like working with nice, heavy gauge plastic trays too. They were a snap to clean and places like Big Lots are dollar stores would sometimes have them for $1.

Last edited by user1007; 04-06-2012 at 09:44 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote