Paint Brush For High Luster.... - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Paint brush for high luster....

I have the fun task of painting 8 interior doors and about a zillion feet of trim for an addition to the house. I am using a semi-gloss and the doors/trim came primed from the factory. They are 6 panel doors with bead molding in the panels and some other niceties. What brush is going to give me the least brush marks? Should I break down and get a nice china bristle brush? Or is there a better way or does it matter that much? Certainly I could use a low nap roller for the stiles, etc, but a roller won't work in the panels' grooves or on the molding.

I also have heard conflicting views on how to paint a door. Some folk say take it off the hinges and paint it on a saw horse. Some say leave it in the frame. Some say take it out and strip it of ALL hardware (hinges too). Others say if you do that you'll never get it to hang properly again. So what is the real deal here?

Advertisement

Last edited by Bubbagump; 10-13-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,070

I like to atleast take the door handles off. That way you get the straightest brushstrokes around that area. Painting them on a sawhorse is nice if you have the area and can leave them on the horses overnight. I recommend the Purdy brand as I am sure most of the painters on here will to. The china/natural bristle brushes are for oil and the nylon/polyester are for latex. Get yourself a nice 2 1/2 angle brush. Work fast if you can on the factory primed areas especially the wood. 9 times out of 10 the factory primed areas soak up the paint fast causing it to dry prematurely and with a semi-gloss it will give you some nice lap marks.

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

Cool, I had gotten a Purdy 2.5" angle brush and figured before I dug in I might as well ask. I pretty much only use Purdy as I learned my lesson on cheap brushes/rollers years ago. Good tip on working fast. Is it worth priming again with PVA? Or just forget it and haul ass? Or perhaps add some Floetrol to slow the drying a bit?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Trust me when I tell you, purdy brush on the trim is best. on the primed six panel doors to eliminate brush marks do one or three things. one use a quality paint like Benjamin Moore regal semi-gloss and apply it as thin as possible. if the panel doors has embossed wood grain on it, the brush marks shouldn't be much of an issue if you do it in two thin coats. If the door is competely flat (without embossed wood grain), pour a small amount of the semi-gloss into another bucket and add a few drops of water in it. It will make the paint loose and spread more easily. Follow the recommended amount on the can. I am a professional painter and this works well. Take off the handle and leave the door hanging. When the doors is completed two coats and dried for at least two days, take the door off, by removing the pins in the hinges. Then paint the top and bottom lips of the doors. By removing the door by the pin, it won't mess up the way it was hung but you must seal the entire door or moisture will play havoc with it and it will swell and be tight in the summer time.
Primetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,070

Oh ya, if it is the embossed/fake wood grain, make your brush strokes go with the fake grain. Do all the center panel sections first trying no to spill over onto the flatter sections. Then do the flatter sections between the panels in the middle leaving a fake straight line where the side flat sections are are where middle sections cross. Then start at the bottom of one side of the flat section and go up over and down the other side in one shot. That will give you your best results and make it look more like where the pieces of wood would naturally butt together.
Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

Nope, flat surface doors. I always find molded wood grain doors to look cheap. Lots of great tips. Thanks guys!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

I'm not a professional painter, but I've always gotten rid of brush strokes better by thinning my paint (oil or latex, doesn't matter) rather than buying an expensive brush.

If you have a good brush, then I'd say you'd still need to thin your paint for optimal results.

Also, when I thin latex paint, I don't stop at a few drops. That won't make enough of a difference unless you're mixing it into 9 or 10 drops of paint. I thin latex paint a good 10 to 15 percent with water, and I find that, and not overbrushing, are key to avoiding brush strokes. Also, if you paint the doors while they're on the hinges, thin with Floetrol rather than water. Water will lower the viscosity of the paint, greatly increasing the liklihood that "sag" marks will form as the paint is drying. Floetrol won't lower the viscosity nearly as much, so that the paint won't flow while it's drying.

Advertisement

Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote