Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2013, 02:42 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 141
Share |
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Hey guys,

So I've been reading about different paint brands on the forums- Sherwin Williams, Behr, Benjamine Moore, Valspar, Olympic, Glidden etc...

I noticed a lot of negative reviews of Behr, especially by paint-professionals. Could this have something to do with the fact that it's sold by Home Depot for consumers, so perhaps paint contractors are against this? If you are doing it yourself you are likely to get your paint from a big-box store like Home Depot and not a specialty store like Sherwin Williams etc.

Well consumer reports - which is btw a non-profit organization NPO, did some extensive paint testing. They tested a lot of paint brands for overall wear, quality, finish, smoothness, ability to withstand abrassive cleaning etc

Anyways to sum it up Behr paint was rated as high or higher than Benjamine Moore in a lot of the tests. For exterior Behr "Ultra" was especially rated highest for exterior quality. For interior paints BMoore usually scored higher, but only by a couple points, when the price of BMoore is about double what Behr Ultra is... Also, often the BMoore's more expensive Aura was rated lower than Behr Ultra for exterior paint.

Glidden tended to score lowest, but Ultra/ BMoore were usually around the same score

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/paints.htm

link to video of paint testshttp://bcove.me/rw19wi16

This being said... I still like hearing other's experience with different paints...


Last edited by crayola110; 10-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,291
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


The test does not address==
Application

And that is the deal killer. It goes on poorly and requires way to much labor to get a superior job.

If the paint gave the same results as Benjamin Moore---why would a painter pay the big bucks?

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 141
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Benjamin Moore---why would a painter pay the big bucks?

For the reasons you state I assume: application and labor? Perhaps they get bulk contractor discounts on it as well?
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,291
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


My discount is not that large---but BM is my brand of choice. Behr has cost me a lot over the years--unsatisfactory final results.

Sand--fill and pay to redo the paint job----If it were free I would not use it.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,664
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The test does not address==
Application

And that is the deal killer. It goes on poorly and requires way to much labor to get a superior job.

If the paint gave the same results as Benjamin Moore---why would a painter pay the big bucks?

they would not
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports-behr-20vs-20water.jpg  
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,686
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


We've had these Behr discussions ad nauseam. Trust me, most of us pros have tried it. We would love for it to work. Behr has good price points that make it tempting as a "go to" paint, but…….over and over and over again…….it does not perform as advertised. I can't tell you how many times a homeowner insists on me using it only to be disappointed when I have to apply 3, 4, sometimes 5 coats to get proper coverage. Why would I want to waste labor that costs me money when I KNOW my Sherwin-Williams SuperPaint is going to perform as expected every single time I use it.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
ltd (10-27-2013), oh'mike (10-27-2013), ToolSeeker (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 141
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


I have not used many other brands except Behr Premium or Ultra. I've never had to though.

I do minimal prep-work when I paint and it's always stayed on fine. I usually do 2 coats max and in past have done a bathroom a couple years ago with just one Ultra coat and it has gone on fine. These are all rental units that I've been managing for 15 years so I see the result.

I've seen lots of complaints on different websites about Behr peeling off etc. But it's simply never happened to me, and I've gone through a lot of paint

Perhaps in the last ten years Behr paint has changed in quality? Or maybe they are referring to non-Ultra paint?

Just like the consumer reports test, my paint has held up well.

I'm not sure if you read the report, or have access to it, but they have one that is a 6 year exterior paint test and the Behr is holding up really well.

Consumer reports does blind testing objectively and doesn't receive money from companies' advertising.

All that being said the report/ test is on durability/cleanability/ and longevity of the paint, not on application, so if you professionals are all saying Behr is that bad for application, then I guess it must be.

Me, I've never really had problems with our rentals.

Maybe I'm lucky or have a talent for paint but I doubt that...LOL

That being said, I think I might try Benjamin Moore for my own condo and see how it goes... I'll post back when I've tried it

Last edited by crayola110; 10-27-2013 at 07:51 PM.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,251
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Sorry but I really have to question that 6 year test as Behrly paint has a horrible track record with longevity on their exterior paint. Jeffnc will be along to confirm your believe in the paint. I have never gotten away with i coat coverage that I was happy with using any of their products. And to be truthful I put Consumer Reports in the same class as Angies List, low. Now having said that let me say this if that is your paint of choice and you are happy with the results then it is the paint you should use.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (10-27-2013)
Old 10-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
Member
 
Gymschu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Eastern Ohio (heart of Appalachia)
Posts: 2,686
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
Now having said that let me say this if that is your paint of choice and you are happy with the results then it is the paint you should use.
Toolseeker, excellent quote. That's what I have said in the past and will continue to say……hey, if colored water works for someone as a great paint, have at it……use it to your heart's content. If Valspar from Lowe's works for you, use it. If Behr works well for your needs, by all means, use it. Far be it for any of us to try and change someone's opinion on a product IF IT WORKS FOR THEM…….
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-28-2013), ToolSeeker (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 05:25 AM   #10
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,291
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Well said, all of you-----In the end we must go with our experience and what works for each of us-----
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
paper hanger and painter
 
chrisn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hagerstown MD
Posts: 6,664
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola110 View Post
I have not used many other brands except Behr Premium or Ultra. I've never had to though.

I do minimal prep-work when I paint and it's always stayed on fine. I usually do 2 coats max and in past have done a bathroom a couple years ago with just one Ultra coat and it has gone on fine. These are all rental units that I've been managing for 15 years so I see the result.

I've seen lots of complaints on different websites about Behr peeling off etc. But it's simply never happened to me, and I've gone through a lot of paint

Perhaps in the last ten years Behr paint has changed in quality? Or maybe they are referring to non-Ultra paint?

Just like the consumer reports test, my paint has held up well.

I'm not sure if you read the report, or have access to it, but they have one that is a 6 year exterior paint test and the Behr is holding up really well.

Consumer reports does blind testing objectively and doesn't receive money from companies' advertising.

All that being said the report/ test is on durability/cleanability/ and longevity of the paint, not on application, so if you professionals are all saying Behr is that bad for application, then I guess it must be.

Me, I've never really had problems with our rentals.

Maybe I'm lucky or have a talent for paint but I doubt that...LOL

That being said, I think I might try Benjamin Moore for my own condo and see how it goes... I'll post back when I've tried it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Painting Contractor
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, California
Posts: 56
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


I don't really understand why homeowners tend to go to Home Depot for paint, but being that they do use Behr themselves is the best thing for professional painters in that after doing the painting with a hard to use paint like Behr, and possibly cheap brushes, they usually come away complaining about how hard it is to paint and end up hiring a professional the next time. In that regard I often remark that Behr was the best thing for professional painters. We use most of the different paints made and have learned from experience which works best from application to endurance, and makes us look good in the end. As you can see price is really not the major consideration, since our time is the major cost in a job. Part of the time issue is in store time, and Home Depot is never as quick either. The product knowledge of the dedicated paint store personnel is much higher as well. After 40 years I am still asking questions about products in the store and looking for new and better products. Try asking the Home Depot paint mixer "is this paint non-blocking?" and see if they have any idea what you are talking about.
kkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kkeith For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (10-28-2013), Gymschu (10-28-2013)
Old 10-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 320
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Homeowners buy paint at Home Depot due to the convenience. Their priorities are generally different from those of painting contractors. No one knows precisely what testing is done by Consumer Reports for performance of paints (i.e.-ASTM testing, etc.). People have the right to choose what works best for them, and there are definitely many choices available.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 141
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Well thanks for all the advice I'm gonna try BMoore and see what the buzz is about.

For me painting tons of rental properties, I've really had no major problems, but I am always interested in the most efficient and cost effective ways of doing things.

Any other cheaper brands then BMoore would be appreciated for general rentals that get banged up pretty good.
crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 3,251
Default

Paint Brands... Behr rated high by Consumer Reports


Quote:
Originally Posted by crayola110 View Post
Well thanks for all the advice I'm gonna try BMoore and see what the buzz is about.

For me painting tons of rental properties, I've really had no major problems, but I am always interested in the most efficient and cost effective ways of doing things.

Any other cheaper brands then BMoore would be appreciated for general rentals that get banged up pretty good.

For rentals both SW and BM have different grades of contractor paints that should serve you well. And the price is a lot better than the top grades.

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (10-31-2013)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Review: Valspar vs Behr vs Olympic vs ColorPlace Achilles97 Painting 81 07-25-2014 04:51 PM
A Home Depot/Behr paint experience jeffnc Painting 31 05-25-2013 11:14 AM
behr ceiling paint? cals400ex Painting 14 11-21-2012 05:56 AM
Matching paint tints between brands... magoi Painting 7 03-16-2011 07:31 AM
Behr hasn't fixed thier paint. Matthewt1970 Painting 2 10-05-2009 09:25 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.