Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2014, 06:59 PM   #1

Share |

Paint booth questions

I need to paint some doors. I want to make a paint booth outside since I have nowhere else to spray them but have some questions. Is the purpose of a spray booth set up outside so no over spray goes everywhere or for no bugs getting in paint or something else? Do i need a vent to lesson the over spray or because of less fumes? Can't do them in garage or inside because no room.

Nimnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #2

Paint booth questions

"How" is the easy part, but it can be costly. The "why" is the important part. The answer is yes to all your questions and more.

Start with;

A) can you not just make room in your garage or basement temporarily?
B) what product are you wanting to spray? (This will mean something for a positive or negative pressure on your booth setup)
C) if you built a booth would you build two. One to spray. One to dry.
D) do you have anything that could act as a dry rack? 2 x 4's run between ladders at the minimum.

Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #3

Paint booth questions

Thank you.

I can't do it in the garage just not enough room. I was thinking BM Coranodo Rust Scat or did you have another suggestion? I was told this product dries pretty quick so I would spray them then move them in a couple of hours then bring in the next batch. I would only make one spray booth because this product supposedly dries quick. Good point about the dry rack though and will consider it.

So the whole point of a spray booth is so no overspray into neighbors yard and bugs in the paint and proper drying conditions? So you build this thing but then you introduce other problems such as overspray within the booth and fumes from paint which almost make it seem like I should take my chances and not do them in a spray booth. Anyone have any outcomes of doing it both ways? Thanks a lot.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #4

Paint booth questions

Are you sure you don't have enough room? I hung 15 doors in a small space this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint booth questions-doors_2.jpg  
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #5

Paint booth questions

What are you thinking of using to build your spray booth? Wood? A tent? Will you use it again? Can u make a a shed that can be reused in some way?

Depending on what u use. Bugs will be an issue, unless sheltered from the elements. Fruit flys love bin. Lady bugs and bees love oil.

The place where you let your doors dry should be seperate from where u spray. Otherwise the mist will attract itself like a magnet to the wet paint leaving texture.

For ventilation you'd probably want to use either one fan or two depending on how air tight you make it. Cover the fans with furnace filters to filter both incoming and outgoing pressure.
Danahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 07:24 AM   #6

Paint booth questions

If your main concern is overspray in the neighbors yard you need to read up on tips and tip sizes.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:49 AM   #7

Paint booth questions

Thanks for good tips. What's a good BM paint for interior louvers and does anyone that sprays louvers do the finish coat with the door upside down? Do any of the pros flip them at any time? I'm thinking I will need to spray possibly two coats.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #8

Paint booth questions

I like advance in semi. And yes I turn louvers upside down to paint. And 2 light coats will work well. A light sand between will help.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote