Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2012, 05:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint in bathroom

I thought I would paint the bathroom ceiling as the paint was flaking off, so read the tin and it said to remove the peeling parts as I did this most of the paint came off, so I chipped most of it away so I could get a smooth area to paint. Now most of it has come off but how do I remove the other tough part as I don't want to paint half plaster the rest old paint... Please help as I really don't know what to do?

Ladylivingonherown

Nush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Paint in bathroom

Hi Nush, welcome to the forum. If the balance of the finish won't come off, no need to remove it. That's what spackle/joint compoud is for. I would give it a light sanding with 100 grit paper to smooth it a bit, then apply spackle to feather out the rough edges. It may take 2-3 thin coats to do so. Don't glob it on. After the coats are dry, sand them smooth with 220 paper. The give the ceiling a good dusting or wipe with damp rag. Apply one coat of a quality primer/sealer, then finish with two coats of a finish appropriate for a bathroom. Depending on the environment, an eggshell, satin, or semi, or a dedicated bath paint. Good luck and check back with any questions.

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Paint in bathroom

Look for primer that says Bonding Primer on the can.
It will stick far better to diffacult surfaces.
Is there a ceiling vent in this bathroom? If not that's the most likly cause of your paint peeling.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #4

Paint in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nush View Post
I thought I would paint the bathroom ceiling as the paint was flaking off, so read the tin and it said to remove the peeling parts as I did this most of the paint came off, so I chipped most of it away so I could get a smooth area to paint. Now most of it has come off but how do I remove the other tough part as I don't want to paint half plaster the rest old paint... Please help as I really don't know what to do?

Ladylivingonherown
I don't know how good your wanting this to look or the size of ceiling.Ceilings are so highly reflective so if its got paint peeling on it scrap to sound,patch cracks if needed,apply Gardz sealer overall to lock in and down old substrate, seals in the surface in other words,and skimcoat ceiling with a couple of coats of mud to rid of any imperfections, sand lightly for a flawless looking ceiling.otherwise to get an acceptable look, flash patch areas, sand,prime and topcoat.Whatever method you choose,make sure to patch any cracks and reinforce with ultra thin fiberglass tape before resurfacing,and dont forget to prime overall before topcoating.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #5

Paint in bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbone View Post
I don't know how good your wanting this to look or the size of ceiling.Ceilings are so highly reflective so if its got paint peeling on it scrap to sound,patch cracks if needed,apply Gardz sealer overall to lock in and down old substrate, seals in the surface in other words,and skimcoat ceiling with a couple of coats of mud to rid of any imperfections, sand lightly for a flawless looking ceiling.otherwise to get an acceptable look, flash patch areas, sand,prime and topcoat.Whatever method you choose,make sure to patch any cracks and reinforce with ultra thin fiberglass tape before resurfacing,and dont forget to prime overall before topcoating.
This was a great answer- we had this issue in our bathroom and ended up having a friend come over and re-texture, just to get an even look, but this sounds like a more reasonable- easier- cheaper fix
PaintingTech is offline   Reply With Quote