Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Paint(?) on basement floor dissolves with water

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas what I might be dealing with and the best remedy for it. About 75% of my basement floor is covered with what I thought when I bought the place was just poorly-applied paint. At this point, I'm not so sure, though.

After a while, I started noticing faint green footprints in my kitchen, and when I looked at the soles of my boots, saw that they were a green almost identical to the basement floor. One day, doing some work down there while kneeling, I stood up to find my sweaty knees completely green, so I grabbed a paper towel and wet it and found that I was able to basically just wipe the paint right off the floor.

There are some sections that are loose enough to get off with a floor scraper, but the majority isn't. Every spot I've tried so far, though, once wet, I'm able to wipe the stuff right off.

Any ideas if this actually is paint, or something else, say from a leak (I know that the basement sink drain leaked for a while, years before I bought the place, and the washing machine drain overflowed multiple times) or something? Any ideas how I would be able to tell what it is, if it's not paint?

Last edited by Jaybone; 08-19-2008 at 06:51 PM. Reason: trying to break it up into paragraphs, but the board seems to eat carriage returns
Jaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 AM   #2

It probably is a poor grade of paint.

Dry an area with a hair dryer and see if it becomes hard and strong. Then, wet that same area and leave it wet for a while. If it's a poor grade of PVA paint, then it'll probably be fairly easy to scrub or brush off the concrete with a scrub brush.

You could also see if it comes off easily with nail polish remover. Nail polish remover is either acetone (also called dimethyl ketone) or "amyl acetate" which is nothing more than a big brother of acetone. They use amyl acetate instead of acetone so the nail polish remover doesn't evaporate as fast. Both acetone and amyl acetate will dissolve latex paints (and lotsa other stuff) rapidly, so using nail polish remover will only prove that it could be latex paint. It won't prove that it IS latex paint cuz there are lotsa other things that dissolve in acetone.

But, if it's green, on your floor, and softens up when it gets wet, it probably is cheap latex paint.

I'm not aware of any other test to see if a coating is latex paint or not.

I think you house was previously owned by someone who didn't know enough about paint to know what kind of paint to use on a basement floor. So, he used what he did, and it turns out to have been a mistake. Latex paints aren't hard enough to provide good service on a floor, and some latex paints (notably "vinyl acrylic" latex paints) have poor water resistance. In this case, it's so poor that your paint is falling apart if it gets wet and stays wet.

Maybe use a garden sprayer, a broom and a wet/dry vaccuum to clean your paint off your floor. It's not suitable to that application anyhow.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-20-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the input. Got the bulk of it off with a garden hose, pushbroom and shopvac.
Jaybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:51 PM   #4

I'm having trouble believing that this was a PVA paint. Even a PVA paint wouldn't fall apart completely if it just gets moist from sweat off someone's knees.

I expect what you had on your wall was one of the forms of paint that we don't use anymore.

Before drying oil based paints became common in Europe at the beginning of the middle ages (about 1100 AD, after the Cristian Crusaders pushed the muslims out of Spain), murals were often painted with something called "egg tempura" which is paint that's essentially made by mixing any sort of powdered pigment into a mixture of egg yolk and water.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempera

Another common kind of paint that was used by the pioneers before paints were commercially available in the west was "milk paint". Milk paint is made by mixing pigments, lime and plaster of paris into milk.

http://articles.canadianhomeworkshop...n239248p3.html

I suspect that whomever you bought the house from put down an egg tempura or a milk paint on the floor shortly before selling the house. Such paints are so soft, that they wouldn't stand up well on a floor, and if the floor had been walked on for any length of time it would show the traffic patterns on it.

I suspect ANY paint, even if you tinted a PVA primer green in the paint tinting machine to make a " kinda lime green paint", would have been able to stand up to moisture better than what you had on your floor. That's why I think it may have been a paint made out of milk or eggs on it.

Look on the bright side, tho. At least the "paint" you removed wasn't covering up a pentagram on the floor where black masses were being held in your basement.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-25-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote