Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Paint for backyard patio

I live in the High Desert of SoCal. Our temperatures get pretty hot during the summer. I am presently replacing all of the slats on the roof of my patio. Each run is about 23.5 feet. I am replacing them because of rot in the lumber. I thought it was termites, but instead I am finding moss or fungus of sorts in the wood. The patio is about 9 yrs old when they first put it up. My question has to do with the paint. A water based paint was used on the patio with no primer, which I am discovering. I am wondering if I should use an oil base paint as my primer as oppose to water based paint? Also, can I use oil based primer and water based paint on top of that? Would that be a problem. BTW, the top of my patio will be covered with a Sun Screen that cuts 70% of sunlight. Thanks.

gilloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,138

Paint for backyard patio

I'm not sure of the painting standards in a desert climate so don't accept this as gospel. Here in the Midwest it is still a common practice to use a slow-drying oil-based primer, usually with linseed oil in it to prime any kind of bare wood. It soaks into the wood fibers and, to me anyway, gives more "bite" to the topcoats when applied. And, yes, you can topcoat with latex paint.

As an aside, you really will want to find the cause of the fungus/rot situation as that, more than anything, seems to be causing your paint failure issues. Once you figure that out, paint away. Since it will be a mostly covered area, your paint should last for many, many years.

Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gymschu For This Useful Post:
gilloz (05-07-2014)
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 260

Paint for backyard patio

Stain may be an option for this application.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Will22 For This Useful Post:
gilloz (05-07-2014), Gymschu (05-06-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #4

Paint for backyard patio

Thanks Gymschu and Will22 for your responses. I went to our local Lowe's store and had an informative conversation with one of their sales person. He pretty much gave me enough information to follow through with this project. I appreciate your inputs. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to gilloz For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (05-07-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,276

Paint for backyard patio

I know this is beating a dead horse but before you do something that the guy that was in the flower dept last week told you, go to a real paint store and get some advice.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 12:46 PM   #6

Paint for backyard patio

Give me a break ToolSeeker. Why would I go talk to a salesperson in Garden as oppose to the Paint Department? Yes, you are beating a dead horse. Funny, I didn't see you there to know whom I was talking to. But, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

Paint for backyard patio

What I was saying is they move their people around so much that the person that is working in the paint dept. this week may have been in plumbing or selling flowers last week. But if this is the person you want to trust your project too please feel free.
Old 05-11-2014, 06:08 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 322

Paint for backyard patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilloz View Post
Give me a break ToolSeeker. Why would I go talk to a salesperson in Garden as oppose to the Paint Department? Yes, you are beating a dead horse. Funny, I didn't see you there to know whom I was talking to. But, thanks for taking the time to respond.
Friend was an "expert in garden" last summer....with her three days of orientation. And yes, she gave out the advice as well as she remembered what she was supposed to say all based on what lowes had to sell. So giloz, if you are happy with the professionals making min. Wage at lowes, have at it! I will deal with my local Ben more or Sherman Williams! Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ront02769 For This Useful Post:
chrisn (05-12-2014), ToolSeeker (05-11-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 260

Paint for backyard patio

Most pros don't shop at big box stores for paint or advice, which is understandable. However, you don't have to beat up consumers for doing that, who come here for advice.
Will22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:03 AM   #10

Paint for backyard patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Most pros don't shop at big box stores for paint or advice, which is understandable. However, you don't have to beat up consumers for doing that, who come here for advice.
I don't feel we beat him up and if we did it was for his smart a## answer not for where he shops.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,266

Paint for backyard patio

Quote:
I think you completely missed the point there.

Having said that, it's not so important to go to a "real" paint store as it is to find a competent paint salesperson at whichever store you choose. It might be more likely at a real paint store, but not necessarily. At this point in time you don't have enough knowledge to tell the difference between a competent salesperson and an incompetent one, so you're better off listening more here on the forum.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #12

Paint for backyard patio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will22 View Post
Most pros don't shop at big box stores for paint or advice, which is understandable.
As I said in my other post, this is not a dogmatic decision. The trick is in finding good people, wherever they may be. There is a plumber at my local Home Depot who is so good I go there to ask questions sometimes even if I'm not buying anything. Then there is the guy in the paint dept. who thinks you can't tint primer. I tend to avoid him

I've gotten bad advice at specialty stores, I've gotten good advice at big box stores, and vice versa. The trick is in asking the right questions until you have "interviewed" the person (without them thinking that) so you can evaluate their knowledge level. You listen to their answers about things you already know really well to gauge their responses to the questions you don't know the answers to.

There's an art to finding good advice.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Jmayspaint (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #13

Paint for backyard patio

Quote:
Yes, you are beating a dead horse.
Given that you only have 3 posts so far, this sounds kind of ironic.
Old 05-12-2014, 10:23 AM   #14

Paint for backyard patio

To be fair, it could be that the failing paint job is allowing moisture to soak into the wood, causing the moss/fungus. In other words, the failing paint might actually be the cause, not the effect.

Or it might not.

Tags
oil base, paints, water base