Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
retired guy

Share |

Paint after wallpaper removal

I have been reading posts here and in Paint Talk about prepping after removing a wallpaper border. My client has definite paste residue left after trying to remove the border. I have read about scraping/sanding/dusting, etc., and using Guardz/Gardz (spelling changes with each post) oil based primer. My question is, if I do remove all the paste and prime, should I prime the entire wall or is it possible to prime only the five or six inches near the top of a nine foot wall? The walls are already painted, and I will be painting with latex, a pale yellow.

igneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:59 AM   #2

You can clean the remaining glue on the wall with a clean sponge and warm water. This will remove any glue residue that was left on the wall. Once clean and dry apply joint compound with a joint knife. Smooth on all seams in the drywall, as well as in any gouges or nicks in the drywall surface which may be present. Allow to dry according to the instructions on the bucket of joint compound.

When dry, sand gently in either an up and down or left to right motion when you finished sanding rinse the wall once again with the sponge and water. This removes any joint compound powder that's on the wall. If you don't wipe down the wall at this point, any primer, paint or wallpaper you put on the wall will not adhere properly. Allow the wall to dry overnight.

Now apply at least two coats of BIN primer to the wall. Follow the directions on the can of primer for drying time. Some dry in as little as an hour, while others require 8 hours of drying time.

You can just prime that section of wall but for me as I already have the primer out I would do the whole wall and in order to match the paint I would repaint the entire wall.

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

the best thing to do is remove as much of the wallpaper glue / residue as possible. if you think there is ANY chance that there may be leftover glue on the walls, then use guardz (which is not oil by the way - but is designed for this purpose), or pretty much any oil based primer to cover the area where the border was.

Me personally, I would remove as much as I could with a solution of DIF, hot water, and a scotch brite pad or a fine steel wool. After that dries, I would use guardz with a 6" mini roller and go across the room where the border was - this should take you all of about ten minutes. I would then patch any holes, skim coat, whatever has to be done, then prime everything with a good latex primer like BM fresh start, 1-2-3, aqua lock, etc... Then paint away.

Hope that helps.
mazzonetv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
paper hanger and painter

Gardz
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
retired guy

Thanks to all who replied. Thanks Chrisn for the spell check!
igneous is offline   Reply With Quote