Paint - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Paint

OK Guys Im off to buy a really good white exterior paint at SW. I dont need but a quart, but you guys said to just buy a gallon so I will.

Is Superpaint their best?

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Paint

Whoa and put your heels into the horse. What are you trying to paint before we comment?

And if all you need is a quart or less for two coats? And you can buy what you need in quarts? No reason to buy and store paint you do not need. I think we encourage people to buy a gallon rather than quarts when you are not sure a quart will do it or you need a quart plus one extra roller full because a gallon then becomes the same or close in price two say two quarts. Same logic though. If you will never use the extra two quarts in the gallon, don't buy and store them. Buy two quarts.

Advertisement

Last edited by user1007; 05-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (05-08-2013), Startingover (05-09-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #3
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint

I'd get a fiver. Then you know you're good to go. Or so I've heard..lol
jsheridan (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey View Post
I'd get a fiver. Then you know you're good to go. Or so I've heard..lol
Because, admit it, you are cheap. The labeling changes some but you can get factory mixed colors from SW or Ben Moore in 55 gallon barrels/drums BJ!

Hang a screen over the edge, wet your wide roller and go.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,296

Paint

Jagans, is this the real Jagans? Cause the real Jagans uses Behr Ultra. Is SuperPaint SW's best? No. It's just the best for the price. Emerald or Duration is likely considered their best although many on here would argue. Believe it or not, I buy Sears Weatherbeater when I need a good covering, durable white. Of course, SW owns the co. that makes Weatherbeater.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 PM   #6
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,236

Paint

[QUOTE=jagans;1175101]OK Guys Im off to buy a really good white exterior paint at SW. I dont need but a quart, but you guys said to just buy a gallon so I will.

Is Superpaint their best?[/QUOTE]

aaah, no
they consider Emerald their best.
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu
Jagans, is this the real Jagans? Cause the real Jagans uses Behr Ultra. Is SuperPaint SW's best? No. It's just the best for the price. Emerald or Duration is likely considered their best although many on here would argue. Believe it or not, I buy Sears Weatherbeater when I need a good covering, durable white. Of course, SW owns the co. that makes Weatherbeater.
I didn't know weather beater was still around. That's some of the thickest, best covering white I ever used. You can almost trowel it on.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
I didn't know weather beater was still around. That's some of the thickest, best covering white I ever used. You can almost trowel it on.
Bob Villa still shows up in commercials hyping it too. It must be good stuff. Just look at the massive size of the paint department in any Sears store these days. And listen to the store intercom.

"Somebody from women's shoes to the paint department please!"
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (05-08-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #9
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint

There are still Sears stores?
Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushjockey
There are still Sears stores?
That's what I was wondering. Been gone from around here for years.
Jmayspaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Paint

I was PMT for a SEARS store not all that long ago. I really loved the job until they lumped something else on it that made it impossible for a single human to do. I was handling all return merchandise too. I was handling things too heavy and too dangerous by myself and was going to get hurt. Insurance coverage, like for most retailers, sort of sucked. And I say this as a former full-time employee. Now most places have none. Only 30 hour or whatever the cut off is folk. Oh well. It was but a transition job for me anyhow.

Looking back over all I have done, being a PMT for Sears has to top the list of fave jobs. PMTs get to make decisions about repairing or scrapping anything the store owns (like returns or accidentally opened cartons they have to assemble to make sure no parts were taken), can decide how much to mark it down, and get to assemble things like barbecue grills all day long in a busy season. They get to rebuild ratchet handles and send things out for repair at store expense. Or personally take them to the compactor. They can walk into the tools section, grab a tool needed, and mark it as an expense. What I really loved is I got to hide in a decently equipped shop with full computer access to parts catalogs for everything whether SEARS oriented or not. And I could order parts without being questioned.

I never understood how SEARS, profitable to a point, became part of KMART whatever inc. after it emerged from bankruptcy since, as I understand it, Sears was the company that was able to pull them from the depths. And then there is the Lands End connection nobody understands. As the person who processed all returns from a Sears store as the second job, at least 60-70 percent had to be Lands Ends returns.

Irony? My Dad always hated Chicago but one of his first jobs when he gave up on cabinet making was to become the regional display manager for Montgomery Ward (Monkey Wards to friends). It and Sears totally defined retail and had massive properties around here---back in the day. I helped a friend bid a job last week to enhance a loft living space in an old Monkey Wards building.

Sears Tower is now Willets Tower. Architectural tour people still point out some former Monkey Wards places along the river. Sears does have a rather decent retail store in the Chicago Loop. I, even as a former employee, have never been in it though. I need nothing from it.

Last edited by user1007; 05-08-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymschu View Post
Yeah, I just read where some pros consider duration to be too thick, and they prefer two coats of Superpaint. I guess Duration is an attempt at one coat coverage. I guess I would rather have a little thinner for this old wood I'm working with.

Thanks for all the good advice, guys. I actually worked in a Sherwin Williams store about a million years ago. 4 gallons to a case. Man they were heavy for a kid. The guy that ran it was a gem, and really knew his stuff. For some reason, he ended up switching to a paint called Muralo, and I continued to buy from him for commercial jobs because he was a great guy. He has Since passed, smoked like a chimney, The Big C. I never really heard what happened, but I guess he wasen't hitting his sales quotas for SW. I dont know how, the place was always full of professional painters. Maybe they talked more than they painted.

Has SW made a major push over the last 10 or so years? I get the feeling its yes.

Last edited by jagans; 05-08-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Yeah I used weatherbeater on a wooden garage door, and the darn thing still looked good when I sold the house about 12 years later. Very good paint. I did not know it was SW.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
Rubbin walls since'79

Paint

BTW- Muralo is stellar paint. Flat out cool stuff- particularly in their WB enamel Ultra.

Advertisement