Pain A Basement Floor With This On It? - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Pain a basement floor with this on it?

I want to paint my basement floor and walls. The owner before me put down this piece of floor in a corner of the basement. It looks like squares of linoleum with something used as a base. How do you get this stuff off? The prev owner added something to level the floor near the finished part of the basement as well. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Pain a basement floor with this on it?-img_6270.jpg   Pain a basement floor with this on it?-img_6271.jpg   Pain a basement floor with this on it?-img_6272.jpg  

Advertisement

gruntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Ice scraper for the tile, be careful, it is almost certain to contain asbestos.

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

After you have removed the tiles, clean the concrete with an etcher (like muriatic acid). Be careful with this product and make sure you have good ventilation.

once the surface is dry, vacuum up any dust and debris so the surface is clean.

I recommend using a good 1 part or 2 part floor epoxy paint. The 1 part product is easy to apply, and will dry very hard when it is cured. The 2 part epoxy is a "heavy duty" product that dries as the chemicals mixed react to one another. The 2 part epoxy cures out to be one of the hardest paint coating available.

As always - follow the manufacturer's instructions and have fun.
HDPaintPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Ice scraper for the tile, be careful, it is almost certain to contain asbestos.

Asbestos in tile? Is it safe for me to do myself?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 AM   #5
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,234

Wear a good dust mask
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

I have been doing a lot of research on asbestos lately, and I would stay away from it if I were you. We bought a house recently that has a lot of asbestos tile in the basement. We have contracted a consultant and the tiles will be removed by professionals.

Suggestion: Call up a company that does asbestos abatement in your area, and ask for someone to come take a look at the tiles. Sometimes they can tell just by looking at it. They do this for free. If they cannot tell you either way, ask them to recommend a lab to test a piece of the tile. Wet one of the tiles and get a piece of it. put the piece in a plastic bag, seal it and take it to the lab. We paid US$25 for the test. If you have children, keep them away from basement.

If it comes back positive, let the professionals deal with it.

Hope this helps.

Isabelbr
Isabelbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #7

I already took up a few of them. They came up pretty easily. There seems to be some type of tar underneath. Any suggestions on what to do with that? can I just paint over it?
Attached Thumbnails
Pain a basement floor with this on it?-img_6274.jpg  

Last edited by gruntman; 02-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #8
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

I had the same issue with my basement so I just did 2 coats latex semi-gloss...............and its been 4 years and no problems other than normal wear an tear............just get as much of that adhesive up as possible then 2 coats latex , NO primer is needed, only book taught painters use primer on masonry...........if you needed to prime masonry then we wouldn't have such a HUGE graffiti problem now would we? it would just fall of because it wasn't primed right??? lol..............you ever drive around and see somebody's name painted with a brush on a bridge or something??? usually says something like '' I love tina 4-ever'' lol well that **** will stay on there forever too ............look at it this way, dump red latex paint on your driveway and watch how long it stays there with out being PRIMED first .....you would be renting a power washer asap and still might not get it all off if it cured long enough ..........

heres one coat over the adhesive....notice that black spot under the compressor ??? thick ass glue lol ...........but it coverd on the 2nd coat...

Last edited by Ole34; 02-11-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Ole34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
Super Master Painter

delete...........

Last edited by Ole34; 02-11-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
Super Master Painter

this is 2 coats latex ............to the right of the dog there is some small problem areas were the paint lifted off the adhesive but just touch them up and eventually the paint will lock down tight as it cures..............best thing to do is 2 coats latex then next year add a third coat of latex............good to go then........this is what i did so if you dont feel comfortable doing it then DONT, im not forcing you but my way cost about $50 (if you get the paint) ...$30 for me

Last edited by Ole34; 02-11-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Super Master Painter

ok this pic is from over the summer..................look at the floor !!now keep in mind a lot of what you see is DIRT/DUST cause i run my lathe down there and table saws etc etc ..........thats 2 coats latex semi-gloss 4 yrs ago and still looks good and i beat it to hell an back trust me .............it needs another coat now cause its showing its age but i dont feel like doing it ...............if it aint broke .......dont fix it

its important to get most of the glue off ( i didnt care, just left it there)..........see what happens is the glue is always there so when the paint wears off from traffic the glue will show through so get most of it off and you wont have any problems

Last edited by Ole34; 02-11-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Quote:
I have been doing a lot of research on asbestos lately, and I would stay away from it if I were you.
OH MY GOD
THE SKY IS FALLING
THE SKY IS FALLING
TAKE COVER IMMEDIATELY!!!

What you have there is likely commercial grade VAT (vinyl asbestos tile). The tile does contain some asbestos. The black adhesive is "cutback" adhesive and it also contains asbestos. If you don't sand it, or grind it, or eat it, or suck on it, there isn't an issue. You as the homeowner can remove it and scrape up what adhesive you can, you won't get all the glue up. Bag the spoils and throw it in the trash. All states allow a homeowner to remove and dispose of that stuff. If it is coming up easily all the better.
gruntman (02-14-2011)
Old 02-13-2011, 11:20 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,000

Echo Bud Cline. My father worked around and removed asbestos for a long time for a large electric utility and though he has been retired for twenty years, he still gets tested for that and for radiation damage from nuke work every year by the company. Nothing. I've breathed a pound or two of it myself. If most chemicals and toxins were as harmful as they claim, there would be no old painters. They have to keep us hysterical so they can save us. Did anyone remind OP of extinguishing pilot lights if he decides to use a two part epoxy in HIS BASEMENT. Bombs away! Follow Ole's advice and get a good latex floor enamel.

Advertisement

jsheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jsheridan For This Useful Post:
gruntman (02-14-2011)