In Over My Head... HELP!!!! - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

In over my head... HELP!!!!

I just bought a trailer home and it needs quite a bit of work. I'm only 24 and this is the first place I've ever owned... so I have NO idea what I'm doing.

The walls all have to be repainted since they are painted really bright obnoxious colors. Not to mention it's glossy and I think it was once wood panels underneath because I can see vertical seems every six inches or so. I don't know what kind of paint to buy. I'm guessing satin maybe, since I know the glossy kind doesn't look well on imperfect walls. So any suggestions on what kind of paint? I know that I want the color to be a pale yellow almost all throughout the house.

My main problem is the ceiling though. It looks awful. It almost looks like some kind of plastic paneling. It has little plastic looking strips running along ceiling. I guess they must be hiding seams. It hasn't aged well and is discolored. I need to cover this up some how. I don't think I have enough money to texture it myself, since that's probably a bit over my price range. Is there any kind of paint or technique that could help cover that ugliness that is my ceiling? Any and I mean ANY suggestions would be enormously appreciated.

Also, anyone have any idea how much a project like this will cost? (60x14 house) Is it possible to do almost every room and all the ceilings for under $350??

Advertisement

Last edited by Sarah24; 02-26-2008 at 05:18 AM.
Sarah24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I may not know much more than you but I would stick to what they call pastel colors. I have never tried it but they make paint rollers that will put on paint in a textured fashion. If you don't want a shiny look then perhaps you want a flat latex paint. Hope this helps
smokeyjoe

Advertisement

smokeyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:47 AM   #3
She'sapainter

Rewards Points: 75

Shara24
the trailer homes have paneling on the walls and the ceiling is made up of like a practical pressed paper like sound board. I don't know the name of the material.

it's a fairly simple job just time consuming, I would recommend you going to a paint store and look for some discounted paint that has been miss tinted its pretty reasonably priced and your usually are getting a pretty good product. Any more information you need you can gather while your there.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Welcome Sarah24! Congratulations on your new home!

No matter what colors you finally settle upon, you will need to carefully prime everything, primarily because you do not know what type of paint products, i.e. oil base or latex, were used prior to you buying the house and anything glossy such as an enamel would have to be de-glossed or sanded anyway. Too much busy work. Priming everything with a top-notch primer is therefore a good thing to do.

I would go with an oil base primer - low odor - simply because you do not know for sure what paints were used in the past. Although today's latex primers are terrific, there are a few finishes where they simply will not cover properly or give you a good solid base to apply whatever top coat you decide upon.

I'm sure that others may disagree and so if you're in doubt about which way to go, discuss it with the counterperson at one of your local bona fide paint stores - not a home center! Their respective latex priming products may work just fine.

Good luck in your new digs!
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
She'sapainter

she should prim yes but' I was looking at the cost she wants to do this job for, under 350.00.
Primer is very forgiving waterbase especially is so forgiving it pretty much levels it self out. As a newbie in Painting I recommend water base primer, water base primer is the only paint you can put over a previously oil paint surface.

Oil paint is had to work with when it starts to set and I'm sure she will run into this problem,

you might also want to get some TSP since the trailer is already painted in a SG. It will prevent all the sanding.

As far a a primer Zinsser is a very good product. I as a painter of 25 years recommend this product, however I live in CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by End Grain View Post
Welcome Sarah24! Congratulations on your new home!

No matter what colors you finally settle upon, you will need to carefully prime everything, primarily because you do not know what type of paint products, i.e. oil base or latex, were used prior to you buying the house and anything glossy such as an enamel would have to be de-glossed or sanded anyway. Too much busy work. Priming everything with a top-notch primer is therefore a good thing to do.

I would go with an oil base primer - low odor - simply because you do not know for sure what paints were used in the past. Although today's latex primers are terrific, there are a few finishes where they simply will not cover properly or give you a good solid base to apply whatever top coat you decide upon.

I'm sure that others may disagree and so if you're in doubt about which way to go, discuss it with the counterperson at one of your local bona fide paint stores - not a home center! Their respective latex priming products may work just fine.

Good luck in your new digs!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

As I said, there would no doubt be disagreements with my recommendation and naturally, opinions are sure to vary.

Water based primers do occasionally fail to cover and level out over certain finishes, making topcoat adhesion questionable. It's conceivable that the glossy ceiling may have a slick plastic finish bonded onto it from the factory and that type of surface can be tricky to seal and cover over, especially if there's any grease or fume on it. Water base primers will sit on a hard plastic finish. Oil base however will actually etch into it.

Again, I'm sure once the professional painters check in later today, they'll have much more to say on the subject.
End Grain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #7
She'sapainter

Every thing you say is true...oil vs. water " no punt intended please "

but that is one of the reasons I recommended the trisodium phosphates it works like vinegar on new sheet metal and then a Zinsser Primer

I realy do like all the help and knowlage that is found on this site and how we are able to help others.

good day all.

Advertisement