Outside House Painting - Painting - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 10:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Outside House Painting

Hi,

Need to have the outside of our home painted. Have no idea what it would cost. Before I have someone provide me with estimates, I want to ensure I have the money to pay to have it done. I have a Stucco home, about 2100 square feet. Two Story, only trim around the top. I'm thinking base cost $2,500. Maybe prep cost also.

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 01:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,052

Outside House Painting

Welcome to the Do It Yourself Chatroom forum, where we help you get the job done..... sorry, no estimates. Try 3 local ones......

Gary

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 03:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Outside House Painting

Fox, GBR is correct on at least two fronts. Estimates will vary significantly across different regions. Those specs in rural Alabama would command a very different price than one in suburban San Francisco. Without seeing the actual house, a ballpark price is worthless to you. There are so many variables. Two identically built houses side by side could have different prices. Different terrain, maintenance over the years, exposures, prep, even down to the personality and expectations of the owner. He's right to suggest three estimates, at least.
  • First, educate yourself a bit about the particulars of your house. You want to know a bit before you deal with contractors. Talk to the paint store guys about your house, do some googling.
  • Ask friends, family members, co-workers for anyone they might know. The yellow pages are a real crapshoot.
  • Of the three, throw out the low outlyer. 1500.00, 2500.00, 2650.00. Throw the 1500.00 out. No one legitimate will paint it for 1500.00 when the other two are so close.
  • If you get a high outlyer, say 3000.00, talk to the guy. Ask him why and what he's going to do for that price. Maybe he sees something the other two don't. Then go back to the other two and ask them about it. He may know something or just have high overhead.
  • Ask each contractor to spell out what they plan to do for the price they're charging. With estimates, you need apples to apples comparison. Each dollar represents a unit of work, so less dollars equals less work, and that may be work that is important to the integrity or appearance of the job.
  • If it comes down to the 2500 and 2650 guys, make your final decision based on the feel you get from the contractor. You have to work with this guy. Does he seem reasonable? If something goes wrong, does it seem it will be easy to get it resolved? 150.00 won't seem like a great savings when you have a grumpy, unreasonable, unbending contractor to deal with.
  • Ask for references and check them.
  • And, of course, ask for insurance, yadda yadda.
Hope this helps a little.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Outside House Painting

I agree with JSheridan, too many homeowners choose a painting contractor based on price and not on the value of the service that is being offered. When comparing proposals compare the quality of materials, prep work to be performed, number of coats to be applied, how they will protect your assets, labor warranties, references, photos, any video, also look at the contractors promptness to the estimate, there are a lot of variables that go into an estimate and there is no set rate that a painter should charge. Some states sales tax is charged on painting. In NY state it is charged on re paints, as re paints are maitnence and repair they are not capital improvement, so depending on what state you live in you may be charged sales tax too
The Following User Says Thank You to housepaintingny For This Useful Post:
jsheridan (02-19-2011)
Old 02-19-2011, 06:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,294

Outside House Painting

Nothing worse for a professional to hear than, "I'm kinda thinkin this job should come in around $2,500." So many variables come into play. Some paint companies hand wash before painting, others pressure wash. Some brush and spray, others roll and brush. With different approaches to painting and different labor variables, it's impossible to give you an internet estimate. Definitely get THREE quality estimates. Don't get an estimate from cousin Lewie who's out of work and will do it for $1,500. Be legit.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 83

Outside House Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsheridan View Post
[*]Of the three, throw out the low outlyer. 1500.00, 2500.00, 2650.00. Throw the 1500.00 out. No one legitimate will paint it for 1500.00 when the other two are so close.
This is total . I've been a painting contractor for 30 years and while $1500.00 is a very low price for an exterior paint job, that does not mean every guy that comes in with the lowest price will not be worth going with. I had a slow couple weeks this past summer and I did a complete exterior job for $1800.00, The lowest quote the home owner got besides mine was $2700.00. Why was I so low? Because I wanted to work instead of sitting on my a doing nothing for a week. That same job, had I been fully booked I would have priced at $2500.00 still lower then the other guy. Some guys like me who work alone can afford to give a low price at times, so talk to the people you get estimates from, if they know their craft, you will be ok with the lower price. Just use some common sense.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 02-22-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: keep our "G" rating
Old 02-21-2011, 11:22 PM   #7

Outside House Painting

JMD, I'm like you. I'm solo, most of the time, or use casual help. I can offer lower prices than a lot of guys because I don't have high overhead. If I compete against some guys I know, I'll be the victim of my own advice. But, it still stands. There are exceptions. But, if you talk to people who've gotten burned, they chased the lowball in a scenario similar to what I suggested. I've gotten jobs as the lowball, and I've gotten jobs as the high outlyer. I've gotten a number of jobs where I've been the highest bidder. I don't sell the job with the estimate. My jobs are sold, or not, before I leave the customer's house, long before they get the number. I take the time at the estimate to tell exactly what I see and what I think needs to be done and why. And I have to sell myself. Not everybody does that. All the customer has to determine when they get the number is if they're willing to pay that for me and what I've already presented. The customer doesn't know my business, or my craft. If I can make him believe in me enough, he'll pay the price whether it's the high or lowball. Market value is what someone is willing to pay. My responsibility to people on this forum is to alert them to the general, not the exception, and that is what HPNY attested to as well, too many people are chasing price these days. And more and more painters are throwing lowball to catch them.
And, in general, no contractor is giving a customer the same exact job for 1000.00 less than his competition, given the same numbers used in my example. Sorry you took it personal. It's business.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #8

Outside House Painting

I wanted to clarify my last comment a bit. I was on a remote lap top then, and I think it was haunted. More often than not, unlike your exceptional case JMB, and mine at times, the lowball guy does't know the business and what is required to do a proper job or doesn't know how to estimate. Either way, it's a bad scene to have a contractor running out of money half way through your job. Painters don't "give away" a 1,000.00 worth of free labor everyday. This trade draws all the unemployed, if you don't have a job, grab a brush, print some business cards and voila, your in business. The majority of paint consumers know as much about painting as the unemployed factory worker/painter. If he's a good talker, how would the customer know? That's why I say to educate yourself before dealing with contractors, ALL contractors. I prefer a fully educated customer, as I'm not comfortable on unlevel playing fields. I do all my talking, if that's possible, before I leave the customer's house, because after that the chance you'll get to do it is slim. Sell the job, and yourself, before you leave the initial meeting. Even if the customer pays the full, higher competitive price there's no guarantee as to quality or quantity of labor, why take the added chance with a lowball? Customers should be looking for the best job, not the best price. It's up to us as contractors to convince the customer that guy is us, regardless of price.

Last edited by jsheridan; 02-23-2011 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Remove the "R" rating
Old 02-23-2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Super Master Painter

Rewards Points: 250

Outside House Painting

im not sure if im a lowballer or expensive highballer ............if i paint a door both sides 1 coat in 5 mins and only charge $20 does that make me a low baller ????? .................but if you do the math im makin $4 a minute so that also makes me very expensive ...........this happens to me all the time, i charge low but im done quick and the HO'ers get pissed thinkin i ripped them off and other painters get pissed cause i lowball them ...........i just cant win

ok off to work, time to make the donuts
Old 02-23-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Coatings Nerd

Outside House Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post
im not sure if im a lowballer or expensive highballer ............if i paint a door both sides 1 coat in 5 mins and only charge $20 does that make me a low baller ????? .................but if you do the math im makin $4 a minute so that also makes me very expensive ...........this happens to me all the time, i charge low but im done quick and the HO'ers get pissed thinkin i ripped them off and other painters get pissed cause i lowball them ...........i just cant win

Sure, but if you only have 4 doors to paint in a day...$80 divided by 8hr day = $10/hr..minus materials, minus taxes, minus insurance, minus all the other overhead....you lost money.

Now, if you painted 100 doors in a day....thats a different story

You're mixing pricing with production rates, they're totally different.

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM   #11

Outside House Painting

Ole, who paints both sides of one door in five minutes? Maybe a flush door slab, no hardware, leaning against the wall, with a roller. Is that what you meant?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
Coatings Nerd

Outside House Painting

This

http://www.painttalk.com/f14/new-doo...und-2-a-12245/

Benjamin Moore, Sikkens, TWP, PPG, Airless sales and service
Old 02-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 540

Outside House Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole34 View Post

Don't take this personal, but I wouldn't touch a door for $20, even if I had 20 of them and was going to spray them, I personally know a lot of other painting company's that would not do it for that price either.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:34 AM   #14

Outside House Painting

This

http://www.painttalk.com/f14/new-doo...und-2-a-12245/

That's nice. But, to use Ole's own words and attitude, I'd fire him if he did that on one of my jobs. Slathering paint on a door slab is not producing a finished product. What good is doing a door in 2:90 if you can't sell it? I would appreciate an up-close examination of the brush strokes and all those edges that catch paint and run. In the real world you have to do the heel or toe, cut hinges, handles (even if you remove them, that's time and even the cut out could catch and run). Last I checked, the standard for a six panel door with frame is 30 minutes, one side, one coat. I would like to know what brushed he used, it carries a lot of material. The paint also looked like it slid pretty easily. Ole, did you WD that door before you did it lol?
Old 02-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 83

Outside House Painting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCpaint1 View Post
That's pretty darn fast. I have to wonder how the finished product looks though. It usually takes me about 10 to 15 minutes per side, but I take my time. It almost looked like the painter in the video was going for a world record.

Horrible music by the way. I guess if i were forced to listen to Blondie and what ever that other song was I'd paint a lot faster as well.

Advertisement

Closed Thread