Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #1

Share |

Outdoor Stain

I am trying to refinish a small wood staircase railing on my outdoor patio. I've got it sanded down and ready for a new coat of stain. I want a darker espresso color, but have not been able to find an outdoor stain of this color around. Most of them are lighter shades.

My question is, can I use an indoor stain on this railing? The railing is covered so it won't be exposed to rain but will be exposed to sunlight/temps/humidity. There is a much larger selection of indoor colors versus outdoor.

chewbakarox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Outdoor Stain

Outdoor stains have all kinds of things in the chemistry interior stains to do not. Good stains have UV protection for instance so they do not fade so fast.

I don't understand why you would be having trouble finding dark stains at a real paint store? Most companies make semi-transparent, semi-solid and solid stains in factory colors from clear or very light to ebony and black. Things like SW Woodscapes acrylic can be tinted to any color. I would not use a solid stain on decking but would on railings and things depending on how much of the wood grain color your want to preserve.

Here are color charts I found from Sikkens (there are certainly more for this brand) and Cabot for semi-transparents.

Last edited by user1007; 09-05-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Added Images
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #3

Outdoor Stain

Thanks....this input is very helpful. I think my problem was that I just went to HD/Lowes and they had a very limited selection. Looks like I'll be headed to the Sherwin Williams.

Last edited by chewbakarox; 09-05-2012 at 12:39 PM.
chewbakarox is offline   Reply With Quote