Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Painting

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor stain

I may be in the wrong discussion but I have a question about using outdoor stain. I have put wood landscape timbers in my front yard. The ground in front on the house was eroding badly as the house was built in mid 1960's and probably hadn't had anything done to it. Anyway, I had the timbers installed then filled in the space with proper amount of top soil. I would love to stain the timbers black. With some house trim black I thought it aid look nice but I am unable to find black stain anywhere. Can anyone help me?

mommywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
Paint Pro

Rewards Points: 75

outdoor stain

if you want a solid color black sherwin-williams has a solid color alkyd stain that can make black. believe me, you dont want a waterbased product on those timbers. .. . if you want a solid, or semi-solid color black just have the paint store shoot straight black into their semi-trans, or semi-solid oil stain bases.

Expert Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

outdoor stain

I agree you should think about an oil-based stain on those retaining timbers if you can buy it where you live.

In my opinion you should also aim for a semi-solid or better yet a dark semi-transparent stain as you maintenance will be higher with a solid stain.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
Expert Paint (07-31-2012)
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,122

outdoor stain

Cabit, Olympic, Sherwin Williams all have stains that can be tinted black.
I use it all the time to stain 2 X 4's used to support white vinyl lattis so it does not show.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

outdoor stain

Thanks so much you guys, I never thought to get one mixed. I didn't want to paint so I thought I should stain. I think you are all right to go with maybe a heavier stain. I want it to look black.when I'm done not some washed out faded color. I just thought today I might also get some of the black rocks to put in the area. I am planning on some flowers but it's all shade there so I need to do more research on shade plants besides ivys and ground covers. Again, thanks so much for your help. I have learned something new today.
mommywoman is offline   Reply With Quote